Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster w/ Road King shocks

Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 PM
montelatici
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run my RKs at about 25. I don't know if any who have done this mod mentioned that with 1 inch higher shock more weight is biased towards the front, and with the stiffer rear more weight is transferred to the front on bumps, so the forks might need some stiffening.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice job, looks amazing... Congrats... How does she ride now?

Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

this will be my free upgrade when the RK gets what it needs !!!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:23 PM
tavomeister
Stage II

Originally Posted by Certainteed
When you are finished, let the bike down and get someone to remove the plugs while you sit on the bike. You want the shocks to compress. Now put the valves in while the shock is compressed.
Do you have to remove both plugs while you're sitting on it or one at a time? Also, do you have to keep an eye on the holes in case the oil wants to come out when the shocks are compressed? I just finished installing a pair of Road King shocks on my sporty, and it feels more stiff than before, so I'm guessing I have to remove both plugs while sitting on it, right?

PS: I weigh around 120 pounds, could that be causing some of the stiffness?

Old 08-08-2015, 03:02 PM
montelatici
Cruiser

After struggling with the ~13 in. Road King shocks last summer on my 2009, 1200 Low, I installed Drag Specialties Progressive heavy duty shocks of the stock length of 10.5 inches just today. What a difference, longer shocks are not a solution, the geometry of the longer shocks puts too much weight on the front forks and even the heavy-duty progressive springs I added to the front did not solve the problem of the front weight bias caused by the taller rear end. Personally, I don't recommend the Rode King shocks for a 1200 Low, a set of heavy duty Progressive (or other good brand) shocks will perform better.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by montelatici
After struggling with the ~13 in. Road King shocks last summer on my 2009, 1200 Low, I installed Drag Specialties Progressive heavy duty shocks of the stock length of 10.5 inches just today. What a difference, longer shocks are not a solution, the geometry of the longer shocks puts too much weight on the front forks and even the heavy-duty progressive springs I added to the front did not solve the problem of the front weight bias caused by the taller rear end. Personally, I don't recommend the Rode King shocks for a 1200 Low, a set of heavy duty Progressive (or other good brand) shocks will perform better.
Well thats not the shocks fault, its yours for not raising the front to match the raise in the rear. Raising the rear without raising the front will cause a bike to steer quicker but it may have straight line stability issues. You went from one extreme to the other by now having shorter shocks than OEM. Lowering the rear without lowering the front will make the bike steer slower but may improve straight line stability. When I change heights either front or rear, I change the other end to keep the geometry the same. And it is geometry, changing the geometry of the bike changes its trail which affects steering and stability. Has nothing to do with weight bias.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tavomeister
Do you have to remove both plugs while you're sitting on it or one at a time? Also, do you have to keep an eye on the holes in case the oil wants to come out when the shocks are compressed? I just finished installing a pair of Road King shocks on my sporty, and it feels more stiff than before, so I'm guessing I have to remove both plugs while sitting on it, right?

PS: I weigh around 120 pounds, could that be causing some of the stiffness?
120 pounds? Your screwed, you are WAY to light for these shocks. Im 170 and they are too stiff for me I went as far as using 2 bar clamps to compress the shocks, then installing the plugs so there would be a vacuum in the shock. Still too stiff. The shocks would not compress one iota from me sitting on the bike. And dont worry about spilling oil, if they have the correct amount of oil in them you should be able to completely compress them with no oil coming out. If oil does come out there was too much oil in it.

There is hope though. I got some lowering blocks from DK. Lowering blocks give an extra mechanical advantage over the shock, kind of like having a longer lever to pry something. This mechanical advantage in affect makes the shock seem softer. They are now acceptable and I actually have to put air in them for 2 up riding.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Wow............I need to look at the dates of these posts before I go responding

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD

Old 01-24-2020, 01:32 AM
mrbreezeett1
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default subscribed

Subscribed so it will show up in Tapatalk

Originally Posted by ghostflames
I guess I amreally confused...or my butt is really forgiving...but I dont think the Nightster is that uncomfortable. I have had mine for about 4 weeks or so...put about 1500 miles on so far - 200 on last Saturday. It was rough at first - but I adjusted my pre-load up one and its fine now. And I am a big guy - 6'1 and 250 lbs. My last two bikes were way less comfortable than this bike. I was going to keep my Suzuki so I had a comfortable bike a a bar hopper but the Suzi went on Craigslist yesterday.

That being said I applaud anyone for ingenuity and would love to see what it looks like.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:22 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,120 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbreezeett1
Subscribed so it will show up in Tapatalk

Nobody has posted in over 5 years. I don't think subscribing will do you much good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nightster w/ Road King shocks