Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster w/ Road King shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nightster w/ Road King shocks

No pics. You should read this before worrying about looks.

You'll need the shocks, a handful of washers, and 2 schrader valves (1/8 inch). Don't install the valves first, you'll be sorry. Surprise: you don't need the valves you can just leave the caps in.

Get the bike up, take the old shocks off, put the new ones on. Simple as that. Put washers between the shock and its mounting holes. You can do the right-side only if you're nuts. Otherwise, put 2 (or 3) washers between the shocks and the mounts. Both sides. Top and bottom. Do it right. Washers are 30 cent each.

When you are finished, let the bike down and get someone to remove the plugs while you sit on the bike. You want the shocks to compress. Now put the valves in while the shock is compressed. You are finished. Go ride.

Ride quality: orgasmic. But then again, we're talking about a slammed nightster. The stock suspension is hands-down the worst suspension ever put on any motorcycle anywhere in the history of man (and possibly the universe, but this is pure speculation).

Once you do this mod you will hate your front end. It sucks. The only thing its good for is keeping you from romping hard-core sportbike style.

I used 13 inch shocks. If you are vain, look for the 12-inchers and get a lowering kit. The ride quality is excellent. This is worth doing. But if you don't let the air out you'll never notice. And, you are going to HATE your front-end after doing this.

If you're a motorcycle nut and you like to ride hard, get the 13 inchers and never look back. Be ready to smoke the corners. Prepare for some serious riding fun. If you push a nightster hard, you know about the bump-steer wobbledy-gook that plagues the suspension. Change shocks and suffer no more.

I can see lots of air between my rear fender and tire. I'm going to ride it anyway. If i start to feel that looks are more important, I'll order 12-inchers and lowering blocks. I'll never put those stock coil-overs back on. No way, no how.

Now I need a front-end that doesn't suck. Preferably cheap.

Last edited by Certainteed; 10-08-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: cleaned up word-usage. fixed a few mispellings
Old 10-09-2008, 06:21 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Post some pics, I'm interested to see how these look on a Nightster.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 AM
threadkiller
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each his own...........If you think that improves your bike? Thats cool. Me? Those "air" shocks are garbage even when new. (especially on baggers) TK.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Elvis Nixon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some pics of my bike with the shorter (11.75") Street Glide shocks and 1" lowering tabs.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
rdss
Road Captain

Elvis, you bike looks great. Where did you get your pegs?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

TK: we aren't talking about a bagger. We're talking about a nightster. Its suspension is the worst ever. HD should trash the swingarm and make the bike a rigid with a sprung saddle as it cant possibly ride any worse. I suppose the road king is just too heavy for those shocks while the sportsters are just right. I'm not floating down the road on a cloud, but i'm not rattling my fillings loose either.

Elvis' bike looks good. Those shocks look way better. I hope they perform as well as the road-king shocks.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:03 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by threadkiller
To each his own...........If you think that improves your bike? Thats cool. Me? Those "air" shocks are garbage even when new. (especially on baggers) TK.
WHAT!!! have you ever had an air ride? i have air on my bob and LOVE it... LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! like rocking a caddy down the road... or if we are going to be doing some more agressive riding i can toss in an add 5lbs and cut the turns as hard as the bike will let me...

Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
ghostflames
Advanced

I guess I am really confused...or my butt is really forgiving...but I dont think the Nightster is that uncomfortable. I have had mine for about 4 weeks or so...put about 1500 miles on so far - 200 on last Saturday. It was rough at first - but I adjusted my pre-load up one and its fine now. And I am a big guy - 6'1 and 250 lbs. My last two bikes were way less comfortable than this bike. I was going to keep my Suzuki so I had a comfortable bike a a bar hopper but the Suzi went on Craigslist yesterday.

That being said I applaud anyone for ingenuity and would love to see what it looks like.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Charles:
Tourer

Hey Elvis, pardon my ignorance, but what are lowering tabs?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
67ray
Cruiser

So what do you mean about the schraeder valve? IIRC there is a quick release fitting on those shocks like they use on pneumatic machinery. Do you use the fragile little valve insert, or a whole fitting like found on the wheels? Can you clarify.

Quick Reply: Nightster w/ Road King shocks