Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Hang Around
Default Connecting cigarette lighter to battery tender pigtail?

Hi all

I was wondering, as I dont know much about electricity, could I charge my cell phone (which runs my navigation software) via the battery tender pigtail. Plus wire from the pigtail goes to the red positive connector on the battery, and the other, minus wire, goes not to the battery, but down to the engine block.

So does that pigtail work both ways, charging the bike battery, or when connected with cigarette lighter, charging the cell phone from the bikes battery?

Or does it make any difference installing different wires alltogether to the cig lighter?

Thanks for any advice
Old 11-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Senior Rider

This is what I use.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...ket-cables/319

You can also run a SAE extension cord in between the pigtail and lighter to give you the length to run it up near your speedometer, etc.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Should work just fine.... you can find the connector at an auto parts store in the trailer wiring section... it will be an extension cord, so you will actually have 2 connectors if you cut it in half.

If you ask a Yes/No question,
Expect the answer to be Yes or No.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

It will work if you have the gizmo for your cell phone that plugs into a cigarette lighter for charging, using the product mentioned above. It would fraz your phone if you tried to plug it directly into your battery via the battery tender pigtail.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Rider

It'll work, but you may want to switch and fuse it, too.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Old Fart

Quote:
Connecting cigarette lighter to battery tender pigtail?
Just to clarify the original question, yes you can connect a cigarette lighter recepticle to the battery tender pigtail to plug in low power accessories. Many tender pigtails are fused at around 3-5 amps.

But NO, a cigarette lighter draws more amps that the tender pigtail will handle. The typical cigarette lighter has an initial surge current of around 20 amps.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
04 1200C - Hammer 1250 - Smash Heads - .560 Cams - Supertrapp - Hurricane Flow A/C - TC88A Ignition

Old 11-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarley View Post
Just to clarify the original question, yes you can connect a cigarette lighter recepticle to the battery tender pigtail to plug in low power accessories. Many tender pigtails are fused at around 3-5 amps.

But NO, a cigarette lighter draws more amps that the tender pigtail will handle. The typical cigarette lighter has an initial surge current of around 20 amps.

I think most devices like cell phones and gps which comes with a cigarette lighter chargers can be used, they have a build in fuse as well as the tender pigtail. If you are just talking about a regular old cigarette lighter, than yes, it draws too much. right?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelton3 View Post
I think most devices like cell phones and gps which comes with a cigarette lighter chargers can be used, they have a build in fuse as well as the tender pigtail. If you are just talking about a regular old cigarette lighter, than yes, it draws too much. right?
That's correct.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
04 1200C - Hammer 1250 - Smash Heads - .560 Cams - Supertrapp - Hurricane Flow A/C - TC88A Ignition

Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Road Warrior

is there enough juice to power one of those small air compressors from walmart into a cigarette lighter recepticle on a pigtail?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Club Member

just hook some jumper cables to yer phone. It'll be fine

2003 FX Lowrider
Chaplain, V-Twin Cruisers MC Springfield Ohio Chapter
Patriot Guard Rider 163818
Old 11-10-2008, 06:43 PM

P