Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will most year rear shocks work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Will most year rear shocks work?

I have a 2007 XL 50 and it has 12" shocks stock. I want to go lower like 10". There is a place close to my house that stocks all kinda of new and used HD parts and I'm sure he has a set of 10" shocks form an older sporty or some HD for cheap, but I want to make sure they will fit my bike. What do I need to look for? Two more things.

1. does my belt have to be adjusted once I lower it?
2. Can I just do one shock at a time on the ground since I do not have a bike jack?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocks are shocks. As long as the bolt used to bolt them in isn't too big or too small you are good to go. Depending on the girth of the shock you may need to add some spacers to push the shock out a little. I don't know if Harley has ever came out with a 10 inch shock? I might be wrong but the lowest shock that I know of harley coming out with is 11 inch. Those would be the shocks from a Nightster or Iron. I'm not sure if the low versions have 11 inch or not. Licks cycles is the only place that I know of that sells 10 inch shocks.

Dropping the bike 2 inches may cause the belt to come a little loose. Dropping it just one inch probably won't cause any problems

One shock at a time may work, but I know when i do this I usually still need to lift up on the bike a little bit to get one of the shock bolts back in.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You also need to look at the spring rate/compression of the new shock, as they may be too weak causing you to bottom out on every bump whether you've got the pre-load adjustment jacked all the way up or not. Lick's, or their manufacturer has taken that spring rate when building the short shocks. Yes, you'll need to check your belt tension & adjust accordingly, (loosen or tighten). I went with the Lick's 10"'ers.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to go over there soon and see what ha has and go form there. I might even order a set of 10" riged struts.

What's the best place to get them form?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
TheBigSix
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Licks cycles is the only place that I know of that sells 10 inch shocks.
burly brand makes a sick lookin set of 10" shocks, both in black and chrome- they are a different design and i like them better than the licks. couple of people have them and they actually sell the kit (rear 10" black or chrome, and lowering springs for the front) was only $299. i'll be getting them soon

Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 PM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by XL50#674
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to go over there soon and see what ha has and go form there. I might even order a set of 10" riged struts.

What's the best place to get them form?
You can find them on ebay for around $30, or Biltwell makes a set that is around $100. The Biltwells are a little fancier looking than the ones that guys offer on ebay, and probably can be trusted more than the ones on ebay too.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:45 AM
markdt
Road Captain

I've seen lots of 10" shocks out there but not for sportsters. [I] bought a set for a dyna a few years back and they were way too hard. It was like riding on a rigid. I ended up with a set of progressive 11.5 . You can always bring your shocks into a spring shop and have them shortened. You should not have to adjust your belt, all you are doing is lowering the back end . The swing arm travels in an arc and the distance stays the same..,Mark...

Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by markdt
You should not have to adjust your belt, all you are doing is lowering the back end . The swing arm travels in an arc and the distance stays the same..,Mark...
That would only be true if the front sprocket were in the dead center of the arch made by the swing arm. It is not in the middle of the arch, the swing arm pivot bolt is, so therefore when the the swing arm moves up the rear sprocket will get a little closer to the front sprocket. If you could rotate the swing arm all the way around to in front of the front sprocket the rear sprocket would be much closer to the front sprocket than in its normal position.

A drawing would help but i do not have time for that. The Earths orbit around the Sun is the exact same thing. The son is not in the exact center of the Earths orbit. That is why during some parts of the year we are closer to the Sun than others.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Well i'm gonig to look into the struts and go to that place and see what shocks h has when I get a chance. Also that is what I thought about the belt. The more the swing arm goes up the losser the belt gets.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
longblack1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buddy runs Bittwells nice shock,but not if you plan on riding long distant. Very firm ride.

Quick Reply: Will most year rear shocks work?