Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 11-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Road Captain
Default removing the carburetor on an 2000 883

So I am new to all this, never worked on a bike and a new biker. I have been reading about Jetting 101 etc.

Bought Cycle Shack slip ons and have been reading about different AC kits. Have my old 2004 sportster air box sitting around and my girl has a 2000 883 Sportster which is the bike i am working on.

Took off the air cleaner and my old 04 one with the front air scoop fits it so I am ok with that and making that work with a new KN filter.

Took off the rear slip on, easy, the front one is a little tricky, she had some one put forward controls on it. Now the bolt I need to get to is in a hard place and stripped already. See the picture. Do I remove the bar for the rear brake to get to it??

ok so i cant figure out how to get the picture in here.

As well, how do I take the carburetor off? Do i have to remove it to rejet it and are the jets under the top cap? I know another newbie here.

Any help is appreciated...i did read the jetting posts, details about jet sizes, gas air mixture etc. but no real details about removing it.

thanks Ted
Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Road Master

Sounds like you are not using a service manual and are looking for someone to give you a "how to", step-by-step instructions. Not gonna do it! The BEST recommendation anyone can give is to get a service manual and read the applicable carb sections (Chapter 4) before attempting any carburator removal/disassembly or any other, esp. the brakes, then read it again before your next post is "Help bike won't start" or "I killed my girlfriend". Threads in this forum are not a basic "how to" but an appendum to use in conjunction with proper technical manuals.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned
Send a message via AIM to x2lee

I have a cv kien, your year floating around here thats jetted to 185/45 already, thats tuned close already...bolt on... cheap... I also have a forcewinder and its intake, but not its plumbing, to fit it. 100 bucks.

I have moved mi brakebar because of that nut before, it seemed easier at the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzuc97 View Post
Sounds like you are not using a service manual and are looking for someone to give you a "how to", step-by-step instructions. Not gonna do it! The BEST recommendation anyone can give is to get a service manual and read the applicable carb sections (Chapter 4) before attempting any carburator removal/disassembly or any other, esp. the brakes, then read it again before your next post is "Help bike won't start" or "I killed my girlfriend". Threads in this forum are not a basic "how to" but an appendum to use in conjunction with proper technical manuals.
Attached Thumbnails
removing the carburetor on an 2000 883-livi-carb.jpg   removing the carburetor on an 2000 883-tmpphp0ejhie.jpg  

Last edited by x2lee; 11-29-2008 at 04:39 PM..
Old 11-29-2008, 04:34 PM

P