Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster to Bobster (Cut, Chop, Whack, Paint, Done.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nightster to Bobster (Cut, Chop, Whack, Paint, Done.)

First of all I hope that this new thread is worthy of your time with a great interest in Nightster bobification (huh?). Also I would like to apologize for the supersized pics. They did not post the way I had resized them, Will attemp to re-edit at a later time.

Here is the most recent good pic of the bike after phase one. It includes:
Raised Tank 1 1/2"
32" Drag Bars (stock mirrors on bottom, smoked signal lens)
Bullet style Headlight / stock original harley glass housing
Removed front fender
Femoved fork reflectors
Primary Cover painted with rhino black along with associated covers
Vance & Hines Pipes / V & H Fuel Pack
Kuryakyn Hypercharger / Red crankcase air breather
Steel Strut suspension (rigid) 1 1/2" drop
Removed lower belt gaurd
Upper belt gaurd painted FLAT black
Chrome timing cover thingy whatever ( i'm tired )

From the begining I had a plan of heading into phase two which consisted of a spring style solo seat, slammed fender, coil relocation, and speedo relocation.

I wanted a seat with a pretty good rise on the rear with the same curvature of the stock seat to keep my butt in place. I knew I wanted it spring mounted but with a killer look, so I found these mini shocks, and I had custom tabs prefitted into the pan.
These shocks I found with a Local distributor here in Las Vegas Called " Chopper Shox " . Yes, they're the same type you find on the new bycycles with suspensions. HOWEVER... These Chopper Shox have a 175 - 200 pound combined spring rating . A single Bycycle shock has a 600 lb. spring rating, and up, so beware.
The seat pan was ordered 13" long and I think 10" wide.

The seat was stained and sealed with a antique brown walnut color. As the seat starts to wear in the leather will actually look better with age. A cow was killed in the making of this seat (sorry) So there are barb wire, as well as strecth marks in this seat. it created some inconsistantcy with the taning, but in the end gave it more personality.

This custom fender was created by Randy (Fenderbender777@yahoo.com) out in the East Coast for only $120 and with the following specs:Round smooth radiused style fender
7" wide
2" skirt
26" diameter
41" Long
Constructed out of 13 gauge.
Although I chopped up the fender, I needed a 41" length so that I could play with several ideas. The 2" skirt was just to make sure I would have some good mountin points on the sides.

The fender is in a mock up stage. At this point nor the seat and fender are actually bolted as we are playing with markers and for about an hour debating how low to mount the seat and what type of cut to make on the fender.

The Bottom end of the fender gets the first cut, and the ol' fender and stop light mounts got whacked!

Special consideration was made on leaving an opening for the belt drive, and I ultimately decided on a rounded off top end.
A few weeks ago a rock went into my belt gaurd, and cut a fine groove into the wrinkle black all the way around the pully...Blah!!

Follow the marker. One more sied to go.

The pieces of tape on the exhaust are some points I marked off because im thinking of drilling a bunch of holes in it to maybe give it a machine gun type look on the ends. Might see some really neat chrome through thoes holes. It still just a thought.

Forgot to add, the ECM found its way between the fender and the oil tank, and all the small details will be either covered up or tricked out.

These are all the pictures I have for now, and they are also already two days old. Much has been accomplished since then but I just keep forgetting the camera. I hope to show a completion by 12/19/08.

Last edited by Slackster; 02-15-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 PM
jdc48160
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What bars are those on there? With the downward angle, they almost look like clip-ons like you'd find on a slant bike.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 PM
MNFatboy
Advanced

How'd you mount the new headlight? Do you have any closer pics?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 PM
utexasrider
Tourer

looking good

Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am curious about the bars too.... I am looking for bars like that. Where did you get those?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Slackster
Cruiser

http://stores.ebay.com/Hard-Core-Powdercoating This is the ebay seller from which I got my bars from. 32" long available in gloss or flat black, I got flat black and for $50 they are just amazing. the paint has retained its original shade since day one a few months ago and through the Vegas heat.
You can also find it on ebay with this discription:

GLOSS OR FLAT BLACK 1 INCH, 32" WIDE DRAG BAR-HANDLEBAR

Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Slackster
Cruiser

http://www.acmpartsonline.net/index.htm this company also sales on ebay

Search: Bobber style headlight black $95

Previous forum/pics:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-headlamp.html

Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Dude that is goin to be a sick bike. You should totally drill the pipes for the gunner look.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 AM
tweakin
Road Master

nice work.

It should turn out pretty sick..

Old 12-12-2008, 08:40 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain

That looks sweet. Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

Quick Reply: Nightster to Bobster (Cut, Chop, Whack, Paint, Done.)