Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Choke Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Slick02
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing the Choke Cable

My g/f' has a 97 1200 and she told methe choke cable "broke". I ordered a new one without seeing hers but from what she said it broke the plastic around where it tightens to the bracket. I now have the new one andstill havent gone up and looked at hers butit looks like a simple fix. Snake in the cable and hook up to the butterfly. Naw...nothings this easy....Has anyone done this?Any "tricks"to it?Thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2008, 12:04 AM
LoneRyder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing the Choke Cable

It's that easy. But no butterfly. There is a small piston the cable hooks into with a spring. Just don't lose anything.. Clean the piston with carb cleaner while you have it out. Un-screw the cable retaining nut from the carb body and it will slide right out.. piece of cake.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Slick02
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks partner. I hope to begoing up this week to change it out and I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can before hand.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

My choke cable and **** have not broken, but a friend's did. I watched as he swapped it out for a new one and it really is more of a pain than a complicated affair. The problen is, he bought an OEM as replacement and he promptly broke the new one while tightening the plastic nut behind the ****. WHY won't they make one with metal threads and a metal nut???? It was most exasperating. A short trip to the dealer, another new cable/**** assembly, a gently tightened nut this time, and 15 minutes later all done.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:58 PM
rontech
Intermediate

Do you have to remove the carb to get to it? I broke mine too and I can't even see where the cable attaches to the carb. Sure is a lot of crap up in there. No room to see let alone work on...

Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 AM
mikeHOGus
Stage II
Default choke cable..

UnsrThe cable attaches To left side of the carburetor and yes you have to remove it it's just way easier that way its very easily done with just a few tools you have to take the air Cleener housing cover air filter and plate off. the carbjust pops out just Wiggle it back and forth and give it a little tug. and you'll see it right there on the left be careful unscruing the plastic cap

Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Thumper87
Cruiser

I just replaced mine yesterday after breaking the plastic threads when I was tightening it back up. It is super easy, just as easy as changing oil, maybe easier. Just slide the choke off the bracket and pull the carb out. Loosen the nut on the carb and then use the choke cable like a socket ratchet. Slide the assembly out of the carb, slide the spring back off the needle, remove the needle and spring and slide the old cable out of the elbow. Slide the new cable through the elbow, then the spring and add the needle onto the end of the cable. Screw the assembly back onto the carb, tighten until the nut is snug then install the carb, done.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm betting the OP figured it out after he posted this 6 YEARS AGO.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Thumper87
Cruiser

LOL lets hope so.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:56 AM
suzukigsx
Stage IV
Default choke cable change

do yourself a favour disconnect the fuel pipe it gives you loads more room

Quick Reply: Changing the Choke Cable