Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I NEED to take my bike for the 1000 mile service again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM
joshc19
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I NEED to take my bike for the 1000 mile service again?

This is a little complicated, but I know I can get the answer from someone on here since all my other questions have been answered pretty quickly. So, thanks in advance.

Here is the issue: I have a 2008 XL1200C and it has 3200 miles on it right now. At 2200 I took it in to the dealership because I was getting really bad gas mileage and she was making a weird noise. It turns out that the rear piston ring "froze" to something else and that was the cause of all the problems. The person who did the work told me to bring it back in in 1000 miles for the 1k service. I looked at the manual and saw what they do during the service and none of it seems to relate to checking the piston rings. So, ultimately, my question is, do I need to do it or can I just change the oil myself? Also, I have an extended warranty and if I do it myself would that void the warranty?

Hopefully I've explained myself properly,

thanks again

P.S. I did take it in already for the 1k service

Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
HDCruzin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1st service was at 1000 miles, the next is 5000.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is really "iffy". I think I would call the dealer and explain the situation. You don't want your warranty voided over a misunderstanding.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Did they replace any engine parts (jug/piston)? If so they maybe looking at it as a rebuilt motor that you need to brake in and you'd want to change the oil at 1000 to check it anyway.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
S/SixPack
Cruiser

What did they do to the engine? If they bored it, or sleeved it, and put a new piston and rings in they probably feel that the engine oil should be changed at 1K miles.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess is that I don't think they are redoing a 1k service visit, they just want it back 1k later to check over the repaired components.

When tearing a motor down and putting it back together a follow-up visit to recheck torque on the hardware could be very important.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 03-07-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM
joshc19
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S/SixPack
What did they do to the engine? If they bored it, or sleeved it, and put a new piston and rings in they probably feel that the engine oil should be changed at 1K miles.
They changed the piston rings and the cylinder. I'll stop by there after work.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by joshc19
This is a little complicated, but I know I can get the answer from someone on here since all my other questions have been answered pretty quickly. So, thanks in advance.

Here is the issue: I have a 2008 XL1200C and it has 3200 miles on it right now. At 2200 I took it in to the dealership because I was getting really bad gas mileage and she was making a weird noise. It turns out that the rear piston ring "froze" to something else and that was the cause of all the problems. The person who did the work told me to bring it back in in 1000 miles for the 1k service. I looked at the manual and saw what they do during the service and none of it seems to relate to checking the piston rings. So, ultimately, my question is, do I need to do it or can I just change the oil myself? Also, I have an extended warranty and if I do it myself would that void the warranty?

Hopefully I've explained myself properly,

thanks again

P.S. I did take it in already for the 1k service
When your bike was fixed the engine was partly dismantled to rectify the sticking piston ring. You were advised to return your bike in 1,000miles, so just do that! You may get dozens of different replies on here, that is the nature of forums, but take the advice you were given by the man who did the work for you.

Your piston ring can only have 'frozen' to the piston itself. It is possible it has a pair of new pistons and rings, may also have glaze-busted bores. If you have an operation, the surgeon will want to see you after a while, to check you are OK and to see if you need any more treatment. Your bike deserves the same! Whatever, go see your man!

Let us know how you get on.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Brett001
Road Captain

I personally would never run a motor that has been apart for 1000 miles without changing the oil and filter, and going over the hardware.
100 miles is tops, there is always crap in the engine when its open, no matter how clean you are.

I never used a warranty but if my motor seized under 5000 miles, I just might!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
When your bike was fixed the engine was partly dismantled to rectify the sticking piston ring. You were advised to return your bike in 1,000miles, so just do that! You may get dozens of different replies on here, that is the nature of forums, but take the advice you were given by the man who did the work for you.

Your piston ring can only have 'frozen' to the piston itself. It is possible it has a pair of new pistons and rings, may also have glaze-busted bores. If you have an operation, the surgeon will want to see you after a while, to check you are OK and to see if you need any more treatment. Your bike deserves the same! Whatever, go see your man!

Let us know how you get on.

Quick Reply: Do I NEED to take my bike for the 1000 mile service again?