Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My initial post and review of my very first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 AM
Peacekeeper6
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile My initial post and review of my very first Harley

From now on, just call me "Mad Dawg".

This first pic is my new acquisition in her new home: a 2009 Harley-Davidson XL883 Low in full stock configuration. Vivid Black with chrome, the only way to go:

This second pic is me getting ready to go on its maiden voyage. I like the way both my feet are firmly planted on the ground, as I am vertically challenged. Getting the bike upright from its kickstand position doesn't require a whole lot of strength, because the bike is light to begin with (about 500 pounds, iirc) and most of the weight seems to be carried low on the frame. I've never been so giddy with regards to vehicles as I have when this pic was taken. (Well, except when I picked up my 3 at the dealer 6 1/2 years ago).:

This third pic is an obligatory pose in front of my house, just prior to going to the first destination - the post office via the long way through various neighborhoods:

Just a few observations:

(1) I love this bike.

(2) The first mod is definitely a two-up one-piece seat (like a Reach) and a sissy bar, as the back half needs some attention. I think I'm going to turn her into a touring bike, and will make my 31.1 mile round-trip to work in the summer a bit more comfortable. A set of highway pegs, small windscreen and maybe saddlebags should do the trick. (Still thinking about forward controls, but I've heard they're a pain to deal with in low-speed conditions).

(3) She definitely needs a new exhaust or slip-ons. I need more of that distinctive "Harley" sound coming off the pipes, because in stock form, she's just too quiet.

(4) Fuel injection is the only way to go. First starts and altitude compensation (Reno is about 4500 feet above sea level) doesn't faze the bike one bit.

(5) The clutch pull is light. I can pull in the clutch with only two fingers, which is awesome especially in stop-and-go traffic.

(6) I was a bit worried about engine vibration. I've seen some Harley V-twins idling at a traffic light, and you could actually SEE the whole engine vibrate within the frame. Luckily, the rubber engine mounts do their job, and I really can't feel anything through my hands, feet or butt.

(7) The engine is a torque monster. While it won't pull my arms out of its sockets (what 883 cc would, right?), I can really feel the pull down low. Quite a difference from the inline-four Japanese sportbikes I'm accustomed to, where power is up high on the powerband.

(8) Finding neutral takes a bit of getting used to. While stopped, I kept switching between 1st and 2nd, and it needs an oh-so-delicate upshift from 1st to find it. I'm hoping it'll be a lot easier as the miles rack up.

(9) Maneuverability par excellence. I was cruising along at roughly 45 mph when a coyote decided to cross the road in front of me. (I thought these things only come out at night !!). I flicked a left-right avoidance maneuver, and was pleasantly surprise how quick and nimble the bike was. Pretty cool.

(10) I love this bike.

Anyway, sorry for babbling on. I'm just too excited about owning my very first piece of Americana.

Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to sharing some ideas and learning more about my ride in this forum.

Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 02-25-2009 at 03:14 AM. Reason: edit
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 AM
bharvey60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome aboard!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome to the forums and enjoy the ride.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome to the forum

Old 02-25-2009, 06:39 AM
ecaldwell78
Tourer

Welcome from central Indiana!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 AM
SHOAT
Road Master

Welcome from northeast GA.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

Welcome from Texas. You're in for a lot of fun! Wipe off that silly grin.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from MD

Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 AM
bigskyrider
Intermediate

Good on ya brotha, I'm diggin' your ride...I've got something similar in my corral...and a similar smile to go with it...

Welcome from WV

Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 AM
harley6six
Cruiser

Welcome from Southern California. Nice write-up. You are in for some real good times on that machine. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: My initial post and review of my very first Harley