Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Yeah, we've been staring at that cataloge for a long time. The big thing that keeps throwing us off is the fact that the Stock info only includes '07-'09 for the cams. Since I'm running a 2010 I keep getting blank stares from the techs when I ask if they are the same part or not.

It's strange that the 2011 catalog is printed this way, all the cams for the XL stop at '09. I looked at the stock explosion diagrams and they all show the same 2006 part number.

Another question I kept asking the techs is why are there no .497" beyond '03 and once again I am met with blank stares.

I think I'm just going to stick with the stock cams for now....Dunno why MOCO makes this so difficult.
Yeah I understand your frustration. I can't go to my dealers tech's for anything but oil. I once went and asked for a double filament light bulb for the stock run, stop, turn combo rear lights that come on the Nightster, Iron, and 48 and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about and kept trying to sell me a single filament bulb.

As for the parts and years and all that I am 99.9% sure they haven't changed a single thing in the motor since 07. But when you are spending $1000 plus you don't want to take chances. For your information the .497 and the Andrew's N4 are basically the same cam so if you can find the N4 listed for your year you would be good to go.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fox4
Yeah I understand your frustration. I can't go to my dealers tech's for anything but oil. I once went and asked for a double filament light bulb for the stock run, stop, turn combo rear lights that come on the Nightster, Iron, and 48 and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about and kept trying to sell me a single filament bulb.

As for the parts and years and all that I am 99.9% sure they haven't changed a single thing in the motor since 07. But when you are spending $1000 plus you don't want to take chances. For your information the .497 and the Andrew's N4 are basically the same cam so if you can find the N4 listed for your year you would be good to go.

Yeah, you explained the same experience I was having. I'm not going to gamble on the part being correct. I'm not sure if you know or not, but are the N4's even worth pursuing over stock or would it be better to look at cams with future head work?

As of now, I need to start the conversion on Monday since it's spring break and my bike is my only mode of transportation to school. Thinking just to do the conversion and see how it rides. If I don't like it I can always look at some cams, but it's one of those "Damn I was just in here!" situations~

Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 PM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Yeah, you explained the same experience I was having. I'm not going to gamble on the part being correct. I'm not sure if you know or not, but are the N4's even worth pursuing over stock or would it be better to look at cams with future head work?

As of now, I need to start the conversion on Monday since it's spring break and my bike is my only mode of transportation to school. Thinking just to do the conversion and see how it rides. If I don't like it I can always look at some cams, but it's one of those "Damn I was just in here!" situations~
Well over on another Sportster forum there is a guy that put the N4 in a stage 1 1200 EFI Sportster and he was able to get 88HP, but the power increase was all top end. He then added the NRHS 1250 kit with 10.5:1 pistons and NRHS stage 2 light head work with the N4s and was able to get 96HP and 88 ft/lbs. His torque curve looked much better once the piston compression was bumped up to 10.5:1 and looked very streetable with max torque around 4000rpm. Its hard to say what the biggest factor in making those numbers was.

Intake close point is one of the most important factors to consider when picking a cam as it is what determines how much piston compression you should have and where in the rpm band you will be making power. Later closing is used for higher compression. There is a big difference in the intake close point between the stock and N4. The stock closes in the 20s (if I remember correctly) while the N4 is 46. As far as lifts there isn't as big of a difference. This is why when the guy put the N4 in with stock compression he only got top end and no low end.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Al Dag
1st Gear

2010 :

48 seat
5 1/2 inch riser
keystone gen II bars
headlight, speedo, ignition and coil relocated
tank lift/wire tuck
removed lower belt guard
SE stage 1 kit
SE super tuner
bassani sweepers w/wraps
BMX pedals

Attached Thumbnails **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dscf3697.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dscf3684.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dscf3683.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dscf3687.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dscf3666.jpg  

Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by Al Dag
2010 :

48 seat
5 1/2 inch riser
keystone gen II bars
tank lift/wire tuck
removed lower belt guard
SE stage 1 kit
SE super tuner
bassani sweepers w/wraps
BMX pedals
I really like how your headlight being flipped up makes it look like you are running regular shorty risers instead of tall risers. I think it works really well.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Fabz
Novice

Hi
Hows anyone put a 21 inch wheel on there iron?
If so can you put photo's up Thanks

Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Brennr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Al Dag
2010 :

48 seat
5 1/2 inch riser
keystone gen II bars
tank lift/wire tuck
removed lower belt guard
SE stage 1 kit
SE super tuner
bassani sweepers w/wraps
BMX pedals
AL Dag cud you tell me wot used to do ur speedo relocation... is it homemade?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
3skulls
Tourer

So put the new a/c on and a fuelpak. So far it's a big improvement.

Stock I was getting right around 50mpg on avg. On my first full tank after the new set up, I'm already over a 100 miles. I'll see how much fuel goes back in later today.

Seems to be way smoother, from start up to WOT. When I'm going 75-80 I'm not looking for that missing 6th gear. Feels and sounds like the RPMs are much lower.

So far, I'm happy.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Al- the bike looks great!! Nice to meet you today!

Rob

Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 AM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser

hey fellow irons... just did an update to my iron build thread... new for this riding season ... mustang solo seat and pony express bags...
keep on ridin'
laterz

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**