Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Hang Around
Default Oil leak through carb

Having a problem with oil leaking through the carb. It is a 1996 harley sportster with the screaming eagle carb kit. It just started towards the end of last year. The bike has about 9000 miles on it. I had the 1200 kit put on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Rider

How much oil are we talking. If it only a small amount (ie, visible only after a few rides or so), than it is a fairly common problem. It is a result of an oil mist, that is supposed to be vented out of the motor, getting caught up an blown out of the carb instead of being vented properly. A proper crankcase breather should, in theory, correct this. I would do a search for it on this site, as I am sure it has been discussed at length.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Road Warrior

Its called blow-by and comes from the head breathers that route through passages in the AC bracket and the oil is suppose to be sucked back into the carb. Of course a large portion does not thus building up on the filter until it leaks. Cure is to get a different breather system or in most cases just run your oil level lower (like just above the low mark on the dipstick) which is what I do and it helps a great deal, but I still get it after so long and just wipe it off until its too much then clean and re-oil my filter. A number of folks have made their own breather setups and of course different aftermarket filter/backing plates have resloutions for this to some degree.
Supertrapp Supermeg 2-1,Ness Big Sucker AC
45 slow jet, 180main, 3 turns out

Last edited by capttawes; 03-12-2009 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttawes View Post
Its called blow-by and comes from the head breathers that route through passages in the AC bracket and the oil is suppose to be sucked back into the carb. Of course a large portion does not thus building up on the filter until it leaks. Cure is to get a different breather system or in most cases just run your oil level lower (like just above the low mark on the dipstick) which is what I do and it helps a great deal, but I still get it after so long and just wipe it off until its too much then clean and re-oil my filter. A number of folks have made their own breather setups and of course different aftermarket filter/backing plates have resloutions for this to some degree.
Exactly, I would add that the way you ride does have an effect on this too, of you lug her, she'll do it more than if you run her like you stole her.

2012 Road King - "Pearl"
2007 Road King Classic - Totaled
2002 sportster 883R/1200 - traded
1985 Honda VF700S - wore slam out
1969 Triumph TR6R - wore slam out
Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Elite HDF Member

The old SE air cleaners did nothing to try and get the oil back in the carb throat so it could be reburned throw the engine.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you engine, a new set of umbrella seals might help but then again they might not.
The best thing you can do if you don't want it on top of your engine is vent the blow by to the ground or to some kind of a catch can.
If you want the problem to go away get a rigid mount carb/air cleaner kit, it will work with your SE air Cleaner kit and vent to the ground or a can. The picture I included shows how I did it but there are a plethora of ways to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil leak through carb-dsc00779.jpg  

2000 1200 Sportster
Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 PM

P

Tags
2003, air, blowby, breather, carb, carburetor, davidson, filter, harley, leak, leaking, motorcycle, oil, roadking, softail, sportster