Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How "Reserve" Fuel Works on a Carbed Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 AM
WVleo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a good idea to run the reserve side of the petcock once in awhile just to test for function ? I know to return it back to on before running completely out of fuel or be prepared to walk. I have switched to reserve while riding to familiarize Myself with the petcock functions and just thought running some fuel through that pickup hole once in awhile to be sure of no blockage . ....WVleo

Old 04-20-2010, 07:40 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by WVleo
Is it a good idea to run the reserve side of the petcock once in awhile just to test for function ? I know to return it back to on before running completely out of fuel or be prepared to walk. I have switched to reserve while riding to familiarize Myself with the petcock functions and just thought running some fuel through that pickup hole once in awhile to be sure of no blockage . ....WVleo
IMO, it's a good practice to periodically check/test backup systems on any vehicle, whether it's the reserve fuel on the bike or the spare tire in the trunk of your cage.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 697 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by gjantzer
cHarley.......or anyone who knows........

1. What percentage of fuel (or general fuel amount) is there left in the tank when you are forced to switch over to reserve? It would be nice to know my range without having to test it myself.

2. Is there any harm of burning up a fuel pump if you run the bike out of fuel? Many modern cars have the fuel pump built into the fuel tank. The fuel keeps the pump cool, so when you run out of fuel, the pump could possibly overheat and burn up.

Thanks.

Mine's said to have around 3/4 gal (30 or so miles) once on reserve. I've had to switch a couple of times while out and about. My bike let's me know by spitting and sputtering and when I switch, I head straight to a pump.

As far as burning up a fuel pump..... All of the people I know that are injected, don't have a petcock. I guess for those guys, when your out your out!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidp00@yahoo.com
hit reserve once about a week after I got the bike, had to pull over to switch it, I wasn't familiar enough with the bike to change it going down the hwy. Thought it safer to coast into a driveway.
This is actually something my instructor stressed that we practice and know. Thankfully for me my petcock is by my knee. On the longer rides I'll usually switch over abotu 100 miles on a straight stretch so I don't have to worry bout it.

IMO it should be something that everyone with a carbed bike practice doing so they know where its at in a pinch.

MH

Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Bob99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by WVleo
Just one question about that. If you switch it to reserve just to test for function, does that mean the "on" pickup portion of the fuel pickup tube is completely closed off? And I can assume the reserve will definitely work when I've used all 3.5 gallons of my 4.5 gallon tank?

Last edited by Bob99; 08-05-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 939 Likes on 398 Posts

........and where can I get one of those square tanks!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Wjtater
Cruiser

when its in reserve the reserve and the on ports both flow wide open.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 AM
ridzalot
Tourer

When I first got my '03 Sportster I thought the man I got it from said it would go 150 miles before needing reserve. So here I was riding out in the sticks on a two lane hiway. The state was repaving a 2-3 mile stretch of it. As I was following the pilot truck I ran out of gas, 127 miles, in the middle of the single lane. It only took a couple of seconds to switch to reserve and restart but by the time I did that and drove on out of the single lane stretch everyone was glaring at me. Oh well, I just smiled, waved and went on like I had good sense. I always start looking for a gas station around 90 miles now.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:08 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blinker fluid

Wally world sells a brand of blinker fluid that is compatible with 04 sportsters only. As far as reserve "tank", I learned how it works years ago on my Honda 50cc. Easy to see inside that tank and the reserve tube just lower in the tank as per your drawing. Side note: this year I have been getting 200 miles per tank approx (4.5 g). This past weekend with highway driving, only got 130 before having to switch to reserve. velocity + distance= gas sucking monster.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:05 PM
BigBuford
6th Gear
Default Which valve is the reserve???

That's awesome I didn't realize reserve tanks worked that way... I just got a 72 Sportster yesterday... It has a fuel valve in the rear of the petcock and one on the outer side of the petcock... Which is reserve and which is normal use??? Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: How "Reserve" Fuel Works on a Carbed Bike