Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter keeps going out or bad battery?intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 01:16 AM
roberto11
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter keeps going out or bad battery?intermittent starting

I’ve got an 04 sportster 1200XL , I bought it not running off a friend , changed the battery and the starter because originally was not cranking over , even replaced the relay just to be safe . After replacing all of the above it started once it ran it idled and than I shut it off and it wouldn’t start back up .
I thought I killed the battery trying to get it started so I let it charge over night and tried it again the next day . Nothing. I tried a few more times and than bam it started I let it idle and turn back off . Nothing again now it won’t even crank over and I am back to square one.did I blow my new starter already ? Is it a wiring issue ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated , battery is a 240cca lithium, starter is hd 1.4 kW. All new and fully charged . Also cleaned all cables to battery, frame and starter . And made sure all connections were tight and clean . This issue seems intermittent with the starter circuit but Idk what to do from here

Old 11-02-2021, 03:05 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,115 Likes on 629 Posts

Could be dust inside the motor due to worn carbon brushes . You can get affordable refurb kits for Japanese bikes but being a Harley I expect there's a horrible price to pay.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:26 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? Why a lithium battery? There all over the place on reviews.

Welcome from North Beach, FL., USA!

Just in case you have not done both of these two important items!

Be sure to add an Avatar of your favorite shot in the USER set up for the small picture others will see in the top left corner of your post with your USER name.

And most importantly a Signature Line in your USER set up for your bike model, year, and all the letters that Harley recognizes it with that others see at the bottom.

This enables others to know your exact model if you ever ask a question or another member interested in it may ask you a question about it.

​​Your all set.... Enjoy the ride! ______________ ​​​​​

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-02-2021 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:45 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Does it turn over, but not start?

Does it turn over and stall? Like the solenoid actuates, but starter motor does not spin?

Does it even turn over?

Do you hear the relay activating? Does anything happen when you push the start button?

I just replaced my relay and it fixed my starting issues. Since they're cheap, maybe try another relay?

John

Old 11-02-2021, 06:59 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,515 Likes on 6,887 Posts

Congratulations on your first post to HDF, welcome to the forum.

I would investigate the ignition switch and wiring to/from the switch. Can you jump across the solenoid and get it to crank? If so it is a wiring issue not a starter/battery issue.

As stated before, why a lithium battery and not a standard AGM battery? May not be an issue but lithium batteries were not standard at the time and may present unknown issues.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:47 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
As stated before, why a lithium battery and not a standard AGM battery?
I have three good reasons why I have used a lithium battery for seven years on my 1991 Sportster.

1. It took over 10 pounds off my weak design battery tray (1991) which would cost me at least $500 to fix if it cracks my oil tank. The extra hundred dollars for a lithium battery was cheap insurance for me.

2. I do not need a battery tender, as my bike has zero draw when turned off, so my battery can sit for months and still start right up.

3. The lithium battery spins the starter much more vigorously than my old lead/acid or AGM batteries.

That's why I purchased a Shorai lithium battery. YMMV.

John

Old 11-02-2021, 08:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

No mention of a meter but a good first class tin man sale of a battery by someone other then the first poster...???

Old 11-02-2021, 09:10 AM
davekp
Tourer
Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Check the battery ground cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2021, 09:12 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,207 Likes on 740 Posts

This sounds familiar. My Wife has a 2004 1200 Custom. Been there, done that. The battery is rather difficult to get back in AND the battery negative terminal will come loose, if ya don't have a star washer on it.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:27 PM
sportsterpaul
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it’s easy to loosen the negative battery cable with the tightness inside the battery box. Many years ago I started using a small zip-tie wrapped around the back of the battery post and under the bolt head at the front of the post. It’s eliminated that issue on all three of my Sportsters.

Quick Reply: Starter keeps going out or bad battery?intermittent starting