Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What Octane/Grade fuel do you fill up with?
Cheapest possible
7.32%
Mid-grade
5.49%
High octane/ premium
87.20%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

What octane gas do you use?

Old 09-22-2015, 06:37 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaJarHead
. . .maybe dead to you, but NOT for someone Googling today for a TRUE answer; as you just showed again it's all BAD information (opinions) given. It's NOT about COST, it's not that a higher octane is BETTER for an engine. LEARN what using a higher octane than NEEDED will do to an engine. TIP: It doesn't give you MORE horsepower or CLEAN the inside better.:

And in your case, learn what may happen to the timing advance in your engine when the recommended octane isn't used.

Long before you will hear a knock, your Delphi engine management has already retarded the timing to prevent detonation.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 AM
coyotedream1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockport
Assuming you ride 10,000 miles per year @ 40 miles per gallon, that means you will use about 250 gallons of gas. At a difference of 20 cents/gallon, you would pay about $50 more for gas over the course of a year.

Any repair related to using cheap/lower octane fuel would be a helluva lot more than fify bucks.

So, why cut corners on fuel. Get the best/recommended fuel for your bike and don't worry.
I agree completely. I have three bikes that I ride consistently (two main ones) - my wife has 2, but really only rides 1. On my 3 bikes, I average around 9,000 to 11,000 miles a year. They are my babies. I pamper them. In my truck, I use regular. In my car, I use regular. In my bikes, I use premium, if available. If not available, I use the mid grade. They may not need premium, but premium won't hurt them at all.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

all the petrol volkswagens i have had has run 1-2km longer per liter off fuel with 98 compared to 95, that was messured on the tank not trip computer.

since we are regulated up are asses here in denmark only shell has 98, so i now only use 95 ill have the bike dyno with 95 so i know it runs 100% for that fuel.
and yes on can say that the ecu can regulate for the lower octan fuel, is the bike/car optimised for 98 it will lower the performence alot more the if it´s is tuned to 95.
ps. here in denmark there are shell refinery in jutland and statoil on sjaelland the cheap companies get fuel from the bottom that means there is alot more crap in that fuel compared to the one´s that pay alittle more that is a fact.
over here the meters are checked regulary so you get what you pay for(you may get a little more on the cold evenings and mornings)

regards
RIX

Last edited by Søren Rix Petersen; 09-23-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2015, 01:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Rix, the fuels we get in Europe are rated by a different octane rating to the one used in North America. Daft but true! The octane numbers are similar, but not the same and a US 91 octane isn't the same as a EU 91 octane.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:35 AM
CanadianHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to chime and in and be the Devils advocate here. Seems most would agree that premium is best. I have a 2005 Sportster R.. (supposed to have a bigger cam) Ive always ran regular gas in it. Right now I have a tank of 91 octane in it (premium) and it runs like CRAP! Im playing with the choke at stop lights, there's a hesitation at low end - crap! It even RAN ON after shutting it off which is has NEVER done before!

2) In the "old days" I built and raced 1/4 mile cars. The best engine I built was a 350 that was bored and stoked into a 383. It had small cc heads (I can't remember the capacity of the heads but they were 2:02" valves. This car was making huge compression, somewhere north of 14:1 and we ran AV gas in it.

Later in life, I was studying to be a commercial helicopter pilot. We had to learn about gas. The AV gas was BLUE so we students couldn't F*** it up by putting the wrong gas in the wrong helicopter. As it turns out, AV is nothing more than kerosene. So if the 14:1 1/4 mile race car would run on something as heavy as kerosene, why won't a 9:1 Harley run on regular gas?

3) there was a recently a TV show on this topic. They tested cars on the emissions after running regular gas vs "better gas" and guess what? NO DIFFERENCE.

3b) they DYNO tested the same car, with "regular gas" vs expensive gas and guess what? NO DIFFERENCE!

No PERFORMANCE difference, NO EMISSIONS difference!

SO why does Harley "recommend" 91 octane? I think it comes down to this; THERE LEGAL DEPT!

If you read their manuals, EVERYTHING says after it "NOTE: THIS COULD CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH"

Its basically a way of covering their asses, saying "we told you so". Something wrong with the motor? oh? can you "PROVE" that you have ONLY run 91 octane in this bike since new?" of course not. NEXT!...

It's a crock of sh** folks! Like the gas companies are not already making enough money? It's just marketing off your fears! Here's the show...

Old 04-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianHD
Im going to chime and in and be the Devils advocate here.
Later in life, I was studying to be a commercial helicopter pilot. We had to learn about gas. The AV gas was BLUE so we students couldn't F*** it up by putting the wrong gas in the wrong helicopter. As it turns out, AV is nothing more than kerosene.
Get your **** straight......AV gas is not kerosene, Jet A is. It's a refined form of kerosene, and is not considered AV gas.
Put it in a piston operated machine and the engine will seize up.
Take from someone who has seen more then once the aircraft wreckage from someone putting Jet A in a piston popper.
Jet A (kerosene based) is only for turbine engines. Today's Jet A isn't even suitable to run in today's diesel engines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas

I do agree with you, 91 octane is not required in most Sportster motors.

Last edited by Guzzi; 04-17-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I run "unblended" 92 octane BP in all my Harley's..

Here in the lower Midwest we can still get real gas, and aren't required to run the stuff that is 10%+ corn crap.

That "corn crap" was used for long time before lead was discovered to be a cheaper "octane booster". Some guys got rich quick on leaded gasoline and they fought against ethanol comeback with everything they had. Your statement is actually theirs. There is nothing wrong with ethanol or methanol, they both have much higher octane rating than gasoline. This is why they are used in racing engines. There are some drawbacks, like ethanol blend is not very stable, you do not want to store it for a long time. But it is absolutely OK to pour into your tank and go for a ride.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:05 AM
CanadianHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Put it in a piston operated machine and the engine will seize up.
Take from someone who has seen more then once the aircraft wreckage from someone putting Jet A in a piston popper.
Jet A (kerosene based) is only for turbine engines. Today's Jet A isn't even suitable to run in today's diesel engines.
[url
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas[/url]
You're right. there were two types of machines we used for training the Bell 206 which was a jet helicopter and the R22's and 44's (piston machines)

When doing the DI's (daily inspections) we had to make sure the right gas was in the right machine and sign for it.

With the race car, back in the day, they used to let us drive right on onto the airport to fill up.

Point is regular gas is fine for a 9:1 compression engine.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

I run 91. It's not a big difference financially.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:09 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie D
All well in good if you are really getting the good stuff, but alas if the guy in front of you pumps 87 and you hit the 91/93 button, how much of your 2.5 gal is really the higher octane ?
It is claimed up to .8 gallon is the gas pumped previously.

Originally Posted by Willie D
I try to use 89 in my 2008 Nightster and it seems be be happy. No spark knock and after all isn't that what the octane rating is all about.
This subject has been hashed over in many of the forums and I have come to believe that unless you are riding in the 100+ degree temps, 89 will do just fine.
It depends how hard you are on throttle. Go wide open and the low octane fuel will detonate instead of combustion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What octane gas do you use?