Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield for my sportster

Old 04-21-2005, 12:49 AM
npd_66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield for my sportster

I am looking to buy a windshield for my 2004 883 Sportster. Does anyon have any suggestions or some pics they can send me of their bikes with the windshields attached. I am not sure what to buy or what looks good. Oh yeah, I am going to buy a detachable one for sure. Also if anyone has experienced anything that was not H-D and still looked good let me know. I would consider a non H-D part if the price is right.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:21 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: windshield for my sportster

there are 2 basic windshields for a sporty, a big one and a little one! the smaller one will keep bugs off your chest and thats about it and its tinted therefore making it more noticeable. and its cheaper. a detachable windshield is bigger and a clear one is less noticeable. so the bike doesnt look so dorky. and, when your cruisin around town you can remove it in 2 seconds. and leave it behind. they do however cost more. in the off topics under "pics" you can see mine. the detachable one in my opinion is the only way to go.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:53 AM
Ragin_Republican
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont have any pics of mine with the windshield on, but it is a clear H-D brand windshield. I take it off when I'm in town or during the week when I ride to the next town for my job. But I love it on the highways. I can hear alot better cause I dont have so much wind noise in my ears, the bugs are deflected better, and if Im in a state with a helmet law (like next door in missouri) my helmet wont rip my head off from the wind. Love the look of my bike without the windshield, but its definately a nice option to have.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:48 AM
lschultz
Road Master

I was just going to ask this but you beat me to it. My son just got a XL1200C and he wants to get a windsheild too. He has been thinking about this one 58602-04 Quick Release Detachable Compact Windshield-Low Profile and I think with this one you do not have to buy and docking hardware. But I am wondering if this is going to still let the wind hit him in the upper part mainly his head area or if most of it will blow over his head. I had something similar to this when I had my 87 Softail and it helped some.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:50 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check out my profile and follow to my bike pics. I have the detachable large WS on my 01 1200. I love it. Pops off in nothing flat and it really makes a difference on the long runs at high speeds. I would not go on an extended trip with out it.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Nav
Cruiser

I also have the HD quick detach windshield. I believe its about $360.00 at the dealer. Looks good on the bike and works well. You can see it a little on my avatar.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:32 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

An outfit called Slip Streamer makes a small detachable windshield. It mounts to the handle bars. I use one as my "summer" windshield on my Softail, and have one on my wife's Suzuki Savage. They'll mount to most any bike, and cost only about $75 - $80. It will keep the wind off your chest, and if mounted correctly, will funnel most over your head. Doesn't detract too much from the looks, if that is important. Can be removed in about a minute with an Allen wrench.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Anniesage
Road Master

I had the 58063-04 installed on my 05 Sportster 1200C - It does help deflect the wind some but yes, it doesn't protect my head as much as I thought it would. Also, the height of it - after installation - it is right at that place where it is bothering my line of sight - I either have to sit up super straight or slouch ...because the top of the windshield is right at eye level. It does detach easily...but wish it would have been a little higher. Only other plus was that I didn't need to relocate signals.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:25 AM
00FXSTS
Novice

I put the new quick release on my wife's '04 1200c and I would never use anything else. Fits all narrow glide front ends. A little spendy but does not need or leave any docking hardware.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:37 AM
00FXSTS
Novice

I always check out EBay for HD parts, follow link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34236

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: windshield for my sportster