Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from a new rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:12 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hello from a new rider

Howdy folks. Been lurking the threads for a few weeks now reading up, but didn't want to sign up 'til I had actually rode my bike. I'd feel kind of silly posting on a Harley board if I hadn't ridden it yet. Well, today was that day.

Just finished up the Rider's Ed class this weekend and had my license endorsed this morning. I had a brand new Iron 883 in the garage and a beautiful day, so it was go time.

4 miles.

That's all it took before she had her first meeting with the road that didn't involve just the tires and side stand. Minimal scratching, no biggie, just a little on the clutch lever, turn signal and foot peg but the shifter peg broke clean off. As far as damage to me, I got a nice road rash along my left forearm and elbow, a tiny bit on my back and a sprained toe. Worst damage I got was my banged up and bruised ego. That incident was a good kick square in the ***** to remind me that I'm not on a Suzuki GN125 that I have a whole 10 hours of riding time on.

So after luckily being able to limp back home in 1st without being able to shift, I went in the house, cleaned up and bandaged my arm and headed up to the dealer to get a new shifter peg. The peg bolt broke off in the shifter arm, so I got a new one of those as well and picked up some blue loc-tite. With both me and my bike newly patched up, I got right back out there and put another ten miles on the odometer to get over my rough spot and then called it a day.

I just took on more than I could handle on my first day. It was a sharp left uphill turn on a downhill road and there was a good build up of sand and dirt, since that's where the rain washes it all to, right in the middle of the turn. Took it a little hot and was heading for a fire hydrant. Probably hit my front brake in a panic due to inexperience. Let that one be a lesson for any other new riders.

So anyway. Hiya. Nice to meet ya.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

first off welcome to forum
and to the droppers club
hope all is well
Ride Safe

Old 06-01-2009, 06:50 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard,,,well least you got the intial drop out of the way.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:58 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about that drop. Most people have done it once in there life. when i was growing up and i can't count the time i laid one down. I would go back to the house, clean up the road rash and head back out. there has been times i put it down more than once in a day. my Mom used to call me crazy and couldn't understand why i would crash come home and clean up and go right back out. LOL!! I put my sporty down once since i bought it 2 years ago and that was because i wasn't paying attention. all i got was a scratch on my left rear blinker. it happens! JUST KEEP RIDING! you will be fine, just take your time and learn your bike .

Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum. And congratulations on the new bike.
Hang in there and be careful.
Be glad it wasn't any worse.
We all gotta start somewhere.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, folks.

I felt relieved in a sense after it all. Because now it's been done and I can stop wondering/worrying about when it'll happen. It's out of the way. Not to say that it'll never happen again, but that first one is over with.

Most importantly, I'm lucky enough to be here telling people about it.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM
evelone1
2nd Gear

sorry to hear about the drop, that always sucks, but it's bound to happen sooner or later. Welcome to the forum, these guys on here are great, lots of good info and opinions.
ride safe

Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM
sgarrity
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, glad you're alright. And good on ya for getting right back on.
I dumped mine the first weekend I had it doing a u-turn at a gas station. Luckily I got out of it with a scratched shifter and a bruised shin and ego. Got the first drop outta the way and been learning ever since. I did invest in the engine guard though!

Learning to ride on a Sporty is fun. Be safe!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
SHOAT
Road Master

Congratulations on the new ride and welcome to the maddness. Glad to hear you and the bike are (for the most part) OK.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whassup from OKC!!

There are two types of riders.....

Anyone care to finish the ol' saying?

Quick Reply: Hello from a new rider