Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Lil'Red99
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloy wheels

Hello out there,

I bought a '99 883 Sportster a few weeks ago with 10K miles on it. I think the last time it was cleaned was never. The wheels are cast alloy and really need to be cleaned. Any ideas on what product(s) to use to make them look nice? Also all the other non-chrome parts of the bike need to be cleaned. I want my bike to shine!

Thanks,
Cindy

Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spray them, or everything, down with Shout Stain remover for laundry, seriously, and let in soak in for about 5-10 minutes. Then just wash it down like you would on your car/truck.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Sundog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a lot of Simple Green. I buy the concentrate and mix it strong, spray it on and let it soak. Then scrub it with a wheel brush. Get tons of crud off, but they never get really clean. (I will have to try the Shout.)

I have a '99 too, that I got with 10K on the clock. You might want to check your vacuum lines for cracking and if it starts to run funky check your intake manifold gaskets. Come with any mods?

Last edited by Sundog; 06-22-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Lil'Red99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sundog
I use a lot of Simple Green. I buy the concentrate and mix it strong, spray it on and let it soak. Then scrub it with a wheel brush. Get tons of crud off, but they never get really clean. (I will have to try the Shout.)

I have a '99 too, that I got with 10K on the clock. You might want to check your vacuum lines for cracking and if it starts to run funky check your intake manifold gaskets. Come with any mods?

Once the bike starts, it runs fine. Getting it started is not so easy as the battery isn't so hot. When I dare to get on the main drag, the bike goes to the dealer for a check-up. They have been real good with my husband's Dyna, so I'm not too worried about being screwed.

As far as mods go, the previous owner had a Voyager kit on it and I have this big axle to fit the kit. The bike wasn't powerfull enough for her and the extra wheels, so they got a Dyna Lowrider and she rides that with the extra wheels. My goal is to put on original axle and start playing with pipes, pegs, mirrors and handgrips without spoiling that old Sporty look.

Will definitely try Shout.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Sundog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A jack makes cleaning wheels and things down low much easier.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93033

Old 06-23-2009, 01:34 PM
racinorange
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my wife just got me a steamer, like the one on the infomercial...I think it's called the "monster"...anyway...it works great..it is the only thing that I have ever tried that actually got those cast wheels completely clean...they look like new...no kidding! It took some time, but man, what a result...plus I'll save on "wheel cleaner" cause this thing just uses tap water...

Old 06-23-2009, 02:28 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the Shout or Spray and Wash...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Take it to the nearest Harley botique and let the bikini clad young ladies clean it for you.Be sure to post the pics here.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
BucksBike
Cruiser

I have a 1200 low with the alloy wheels that are black on the spokes and polished along the rim. Got the bike in January and didn't try cleaning the polished rims untim late May. The rear rim under the brake disc was the worst. I was surprised at how hard it was to get the crud off. Probably a combination of brake and some salt dust. Never rode it on wet raods but one dry winter day the roads were pretty dusty with salt.

Tried progressively stronger methods, first a wheel cleaner from Girots Garage, then Never Dull wads, then Semi Chrome, then Never Dull with some Semi Chrome applied. It was still taking forever to get some of the crud off. Then tried a Scotts Brite pad with Semi Chrome. That worked great and doesn't hurt the finish I'm going to try and let not let them go too long w/o some polish. Now try to do one side of a rim each time I ride with just Semi Chrome on a cloth.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman336
+1 on the Shout or Spray and Wash...
one ?
when you use this shout stuff are you spraying on dry wheels or are they wet with a little water first ?
many thanks

PS had a bad adventure with some cleaners (lesson well learned)

Quick Reply: Alloy wheels