Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 AM
JohnsonPstFls
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had some speed bumps on the install. I still had to grind the neck out a bit and I had to make a new stop but other than that, it was pretty smooth. As far as function being on the bike, in my opinion it was a major improvement. The straight line stability on the highway is MUCH better than stock. The slow parking lot corners took an afternoon to get used to as the bike feels "heavier" but that was pretty minor.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a fan. but to each his own.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
RacingJake
Tourer

You'll get used to it.

Heck I even forget I have 5* cups and can still cut a tight corner when someone pulls out in front of me.

Last edited by RacingJake; 01-12-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Default raked front end

I had my frame raked to 35 and 3 degree trees added to keep the trail as close to stock as possible. If you still want to have fun in the twistys, anything over 35 and you will have to lean so far forward to stay fast, it won't be very fun. Even with mine I have to lean forward a fair bit to feel comfortable going very fast around the corners . Drag bars are a good bar to use when raking a sporty past 35 , they keep you leaning forward and change your center of gravity.. Mark...

Attached Thumbnails Rake Kit-harley1.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
JohnsonPstFls
Intermediate

markdt - what you have there is a perfect rake on a Sporty, in my opinion. I originally wanted an extra 5 in the neck but didn't want to cut the fame. I achieved the 3 degree on mine for about $200. I really want the extra 3 degrees from a set of trees but am really happy with the current trail numbers. Not sure I want to pull it back. What length are the tubes on yours? Looks like the front sits a bit lower than the back.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 AM
markdt
Road Captain
Default raked front end

[I] guees it's just the photo. It actually sits completely level. Tubes are 4" over stock sportster or 6" from a 883 low. I used the acutronix rake and trail calculator to keep the trail as close to stock as possible. ..Mark..

Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kahaone

Your rake is pretty similar to mine also.

But, I didn't have the neck chopped, it is actually the frame. It was cut 1/2 down the front down tubes, and extensions put in, and cut under the seat with a slight angled section. So the neck was never touched, it is actually the frame that was done. If just the neck was cut, then it wouldn't achieve the "lifted" look to the tank and front of bike.

But yours does look nice too. We both have similar rake, we just went about it different ways.
I can see what your talking about on your bike as the down tubes have a bend to them and stock they do not. You bike is a true Chopper IMO sinnce it was a stock bike and now it's off the hook.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 AM
wheeliesrfun
2nd Gear
Default lower front end

[quote=RacingJake;5242446]Thanks, it's a 21" wheel.

In that pic I have extended 6" forks all the way up in the tree's and in the bottom pic I have them flush with the top tree for more of a copper look. It takes alittle work to get the 5* kit to fit and clear the tank and fork stops but I think it's better then cutting the neck.

I will be going with some 3* or 5* trees to change my trail from 7 inches back down to 4 to 5 inches one of these days.

Name:  002-19.jpg
Views: 4269
Size:  181.7 KB
just push your shocks up about 1 to 1.5 cms and that will fix your trail issue.
front end is sitting a little higher so it would be fine

Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Corey Davidson
Stage II
Thumbs up Looks Great

Your rake is pretty similar to mine also.

But, I didn't have the neck chopped, it is actually the frame. It was cut 1/2 down the front down tubes, and extensions put in, and cut under the seat with a slight angled section. So the neck was never touched, it is actually the frame that was done. If just the neck was cut, then it wouldn't achieve the "lifted" look to the tank and front of bike.

But yours does look nice too. We both have similar rake, we just went about it different ways.
Hey I have a question for you, I have a '00' 1200 custom and I love the idea of the way you chopped it and not the neck, I just want to know what size Extentions you added so I have an Idea of gettin about that rake or a hair less, Love the look you gave your bike

Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Corey Davidson
Stage II
Thumbs up Nice Job!

At first I had planned on doing something similar, with raked trees. Luckily for me, the ones I bought did not fit my bike. But the indy shop that I was using at the time had experience with raking the frame.
And it looks 100 times better like this!! Plus, it only cost about $100 more than that kit is.
There is one guy in a nearby town that has raked triple trees on his Sportster. I parked next to him at a benefit ride once. There was not a single person there who liked his better than mine, including him!
The frame chop is a much better finished look, at least in my opinion.
I posted a quote but it might have went to the wrong thing, I have a 2000 1200 xl custom and want to know what the size of the extensions were so I would have an Idea of what to do to get about the same rake or a hair less, Your bike is very impressive and tree rake extensions are expensive and don't give that raise look like you said, thank you -Corey

Quick Reply: Rake Kit