Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopping stock fender? Nightster...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 PM
matt_i_am
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine this weekend, thanks for all of the great info!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Julrac5
Default lights

Lots of great info on this thread, but, how are you guys re-mounting the lights? Are you using a spacer at all? And how did you get the strut cover and stock spacer off of the wire?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Andrewt8709
2nd Gear

Did mine over my weekend. Fun project. Only snag was after the job my check engine light came on. Ran Dtc and found engine temp sensor voltage open code. Turns out it came unplugged in the process some how. Not sure as I wasn't too near the plug ever. But Im rambling so here are some pics.

Name:  20130607_135952.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  398.1 KB
Name:  20130610_123159.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  524.9 KB

Old 08-25-2013, 06:57 PM
mbauer
Stage IV
Default NewBee

Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-phone-pics-002.jpg

Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-phone-pics-006.jpg

Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-phone-pics-001.jpg

Just chopped mine, read all 15 pages first, so much Help and Info, Thank You

Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Arrampico
Intermediate
Default Lights and plate braket

Saw a lot of Q's about lights and bracket.

Here's how I did mine.

Plate bracket was a $4.00 1" L Bracket purchased at Home Depot...I just chopped off a bit and wa'la....see pics.

The lights I bought a 3ft piece of I think it's 5/16's threaded bar and chopped what I needed....see pics.

If you got questions hit me up and if I can remember how I did it I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Attached Thumbnails Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0937.jpg   Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0939-1.jpg   Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0622.jpg   Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0624.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Arrampico
Intermediate

Ok, it wasn't exactly an L Bracket it was an L with another piece...if you follow down it goes a few inches down behind my plate. I found it in the lumber section by all the framing sort of metal pieces. Just wondered around until I found something I could work with.

Has not come off yet - 1k miles WOT.

No, I don't have pics anymore of what it looked like - go to Home Depot or Lowes or whatever and look around.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrampico
Saw a lot of Q's about lights and bracket.

Here's how I did mine.

Plate bracket was a $4.00 1" L Bracket purchased at Home Depot...I just chopped off a bit and wa'la....see pics.

The lights I bought a 3ft piece of I think it's 5/16's threaded bar and chopped what I needed....see pics.

If you got questions hit me up and if I can remember how I did it I'll be more than happy to help you out.
That's f-ing cleaver! I've got a sissy bar on the way (probably at the customs office right now, Always nice to be ripped off ) that will be mounted between the struts and the fender. I've got my license plate bracket mounted there right now so that has to come off. I'm looking for something original like what you've done! If you've got any more/other pics of how it's mounted I'd love to see them! Hope that alright with you!

Cheers!

Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Arrampico
Intermediate

1. I measured the length of the piece of 5/16th rod (maybe 3 in?)
  2. Applied blue thread locker and screwed in just under 1cm into the turn signal and waited some time for drying
  3. Put on washer and nut to hold it in place
  4. Added Bracket and washer
  5. Through factory hole in rear strut and fender
  6. Washer and another nut
Boom

I added some additional pics of the piece of metal I used for the bracket too...i used some awesome paint skills - the red square is the piece I cut off the bracket. Like I said it was just some random part I found in the lumber section.

Attached Thumbnails Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0970.jpg   Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0971.jpg   Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0974.jpg   Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0977.jpg   Chopping stock fender? Nightster...-img_0975_1.jpg  

Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrampico
  1. I measured the length of the piece of 5/16th rod (maybe 3 in?)
  2. Applied blue thread locker and screwed in just under 1cm into the turn signal and waited some time for drying
  3. Put on washer and nut to hold it in place
  4. Added Bracket and washer
  5. Through factory hole in rear strut and fender
  6. Washer and another nut
Boom

I added some additional pics of the piece of metal I used for the bracket too...i used some awesome paint skills - the red square is the piece I cut off the bracket. Like I said it was just some random part I found in the lumber section.
Thanks dude! Very helpful!

Cheers!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Topsmuc
Stage I
Default Cutting frame

after cutting frame , how did you finish it ? Powder coat or simple Spray paint?

r ][/B]
Originally Posted by mreed
This is what mine looked like with the struts before I cut the fender.

This is a view of the ECM hole.

The flat side of this hole is what I used for the cut line. I cut the front of the fender off (a little over 11") and rotated the fender forward. In that same pic you can see where the seat bolted just behind the ECM hole. I enlarged this hole and re-used the fender mount bushing here and bolted it to where the fender bolted originally.

Drilled holes in the sides and took the legs off of the turn signals...used the turn signals to bolt the fender on the sides.

...after I cut about 8" off of the frame...

Quick Reply: Chopping stock fender? Nightster...