Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help 1200 sportster runs bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warn needle ussually results in fuel overflow as it may not seal properly. If the fuel is just simply shutting off at a high level, then the float is set wrong, and you need to bend the adjustment tab on it to correct it. And for the little spring pin on the back of the float needle, as long is it springs out freely, it is fine. You could try a new float needle and seat, and reset your float level.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
flyingsportster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there Chief, you think could be more descriptive when talking about the float needle, I am very new to all this.

I have no clue on how to adjust the float and what not.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingsportster
So i pulled the carb apart, the diaphram looks good, so does the slide.
I pulled the bottom end off and looked at the jets, they look good. I noticed that the float moves freely and does indeed float. however the float needle in my opinion looks a tad worn.

So my thinking is, and correct me if im wrong, that the float needle being worn a bit allows more fuel into the bowl, which in turn allows more fuel into the engine.

I am not an expert on carbs, nor a master mechanic, the only other time ive worked on a carb is when my son rejetted his bike, which has a similar designed carb.

Also on another note, I noticed that the float needle has a sping driven piston on the bottom of it, I would think that it is some sort of tension spring, what does this part do?

All of your advise and opinions have been greatly appriciated and thanks in advance.
If you want to replace the needle OK, but if you don't soak that carb for at least 8 hrs in some real carb cleaner and then rinse it on hot water and then blow dry all thge passages, you are just pissing in the wind. If after doing this it still doesn't run (and assuming something else on your bike isn't screwed up) then you know you have an internal problem like a crack housing, but that is extremely rare.
Another assumtion is that you actually know how to take a carb apart and put it back together, I have a BroInLaw that's a brain surgeon and he can take a carb apart and put it back together but it will never run again.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 PM
flyingsportster
6th Gear

So today i put the carb back together, after adjusting the tab on the float.

It ran way better at cruising speeds than before.

However while riding, it died, this time a lack of fuel. I thought maybe I had done something wrong when putting it back together, so I went and pulled the bowl off along side of the road, found no gas in it at all. so then I pulled off the fuel line and no fuel there either.

My fuel selector switch was in the on position, and i tried blowing on the fuel line. I couldnt blow through it at all. so I then tried to suck fuel through it and still nothing.

So i then reassembled the carb and the bike fired right up with no problems, and I immediatley went straight back home.

Im thinkin this could be a vapor lock or something, maybe a bad fuel filter?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 AM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a vacuume operated petcock on your bike? Basically there'll be a small vacuum hose that connects from the carb to the petcock, other than the fuel hose. If so, if that line is either not connected or is cracked, the petcock will be off regardless wether you have the fuel lever on or not. Not to say it's not possible for the filter screen in the petcock to be clogged as well.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:55 AM
flyingsportster
6th Gear

Hey guys, just got my internet back up. swithed over to dsl.

So i bought the new carb, they put it on and it still ran like crap. so its been at harley for a week, they even siad that its on the house.

just thought Id give you all an update.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:08 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does your bike sit outside overnight and thru the day? If so, you can believe she has water in the bottom of the gas tank. Water in the gas can generate these same symptoms.....Drain the tank, install a drying additive with fresh gas, disassemble and blow out carb and try her again.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM
flyingsportster
6th Gear

Believe it or not my son hit the nail on the head.

He has been helping me with the problem from start to finish.
After we had gone through the bike time and time again, he made a suggestion to me that it could be the fuel selector valve (petcock).

So I took the bike back over to harley, told them what I thought it was, they replaced it at no charge, and bam just like that it was fixed.

Were still not sure as to what was wrong with it, but it didnt make sense that with the valve in the on position and the fuel line disconnected from the carb, there was no gas pooring out of it. not a drop.

So the bike is fixed as far as I can tell, runs like it should.

JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HELPED ME OUT.