Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rake / Chopper idea! diagram

Old 08-05-2009, 02:05 AM
87XLH1100
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rake / Chopper idea! diagram

Well this is what I came up with real fast on PAINT! lol
I think this is what I want to do to my bike this winter. what do you guys thinK? do they make any kits similar or has anyone on here done this?

reason is I want the chopper/raked/extended look and don't want to spend a bunch of money. I know how to weld aleady and I am about to start welding school for pipe fitters union so I think I could handle it.

this will raise the tank and give a more open engine area, rake the front end and give me an excuse to paint or powder the whole frame. maybe just paint the front black over the welds after I clean them up depending on the condition of the frame.

just please let me know what you think. looking at maybe 7 degree rake and longer tubes?

Attached Thumbnails Rake / Chopper idea! diagram-frame.jpg  
Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 AM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to the buell forum theres a shiitload of fellow welders over there man that chop sportster n buell. you'll get tonnes of advice from welders experienced at you job man. theres a few buell sites an they're all good for a welding kinda guy.
this is a good HD shoot the shiit site with regular riders and since most of em cannot weld or fabricate, they seem to believe noone else can either and attack any welders advice or try to get into a pissin contest with em so they usually leave or give no advice man.
the welders and mechanics on the buell sites are doing some pretty far out shiit that the rest of the HD lines copy years later.
good luck your idea because your a welder too, will be alot easier than you think man, you can do things with your hands most men cant!

Last edited by ernofsteel007; 08-05-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
87XLH1100
Advanced

thanks for he tip...
has anyone ever seen this done before? do you think it would work?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can recommend is that you make sure to do your rake / trail calculations to keep the bike safe and prevent building a tank slapper. Here's a link to a rake / trail calculator...
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 PM
87XLH1100
Advanced

still don't understand what that is...I know to make sure the forks don't slap the tank and all that but what is trail?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

trail is defined as the distance behind the steering-angle where the wheel contacts earth.

if you don't undstand these concepts, take the bike to a pro and have it done right. if you get the trail wrong the bike will be impossible to ride.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87XLH1100
still don't understand what that is...I know to make sure the forks don't slap the tank and all that but what is trail?
follow that link to RBracing man and study their work on rake and trail. then if you still don't understand the concept then absolutely forget your project and pay a experienced chopper builder to do it for you like buddy said cuz if you get the rake and trail wrong it could cost you your life.
as a welder this'll be as easy as pie, your gonna need a HD frame jig to get the exact degree angle in for some solid tacks to hold for the TIG beads you'll be laying down. the best place i know to get the prints for a HD frame jig is a store on ebay : POSSUMS MOTORCYCLE BIKER ITEMS , they sell complete chopper blueprints that includes a HD frame jig blueprint for about $40 bucks. the frame design he sells i don't like but its worth it just for the springer forks and frame jig blueprints. and go to a buell forum to get alot of brains to pick info from, good luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 87XLH1100
Like others have said, if you don't get it right you'll be riding a death trap. If you can't understand it take it to a pro, if you can't afford a pro, don't do it.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Rake & Trail Explained
Rake
A motorcycle rake (frame neck angle) is the fork angle measured from an imaginary 90 degree line.
The rake of a bike has a direct influence on the trail.
Raked Trees
I get lots of requests to put rake in the trees. Some people want to use them to extend their stock bikes.
The simple answer is if you want that extended look . . . consider, instead, raking your chassis by cutting your neck and positioning it for longer tubes, chopper style.
Offset
Both fork and, in the case of a springer front end, rocker offset also have a direct influence on the trail.
Trail
Trail is the distance between where the projected steering axis hits the ground and where a vertical line down from the center of the front axle hits the ground.

Rake
Rake has a big influence on how the bike handles at different speeds and under different riding conditions.

Increasing rake will improve stability when riding in a straight line but an excessive rake can make bad handling in turns especially at low speed. TrailToo little or too much trail create handling problems. This diagram shows how both the fork offset and the rocker offset on my springer push the wheel forward thereby reducing the trail.

Too litte trail:

With negative or too little trail the bike will handle well at low speeds but will easily develop a dangerous wobble at high speed.

Normal Trail:

The trail should be between 4 and 6.5 inches so that the bike handles easily at both high and low speeds.
Too much Trail:

You will have trouble balancing the bike at low speeds and it will handle sluggishly at high speeds. Raked TreesUsing "raked" trees will increase the angle of the forks by 3 (or whatever) degrees.

This is NOT the same as adding rake because the steering axis doesn't change. The result is that trail is DECREASED as the contact patch of the tire moves closer to the steering axis. This is OK if you have too much trail and want to decrease it. BUT raked trees can result in negative trail.

Raked triple trees are really for use where the bike has a regular glide font end and a neck rake angle of 40 degrees or more. In these cases raked trees can reduce the trail to a shorter, more manageable, distance. However too much rake in the trees will result in too little trail.

Attached Thumbnails Rake / Chopper idea! diagram-untitled.jpg