Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 PM
akracing1603
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM relocation?

I'm gonna build a seat pan for my iron this weekend, but were do you put the ecm i have looked all over high and low and cant fiqure out were you guys put'em, thanks for any help

Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was Thinking the same. Under the battery cover ? Is were I was thinking. With some double sided tape. Then tie strap the cover to the frame so it don't open. If there is enough room that is. Only that spring seat set up from HD is around $500 bucks. Then I gotta fill or cover the hole or get a 04-06 or 10 fender.

Last edited by carlo; 08-05-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:30 AM
akracing1603
Advanced

it might work there, only thing is i took my batt. cover off to give it more of a raw look, For the hole in the fender i think i gonna twist the fender forward then cut the front part of it so that way the hole in the fender is not seen, i bought a trailer fender and played with it but i didn't like the way it turned out, as far as the $500 seat, I bought a piece of 24'' x 24'' 10 gauge mmetal from tractor supply and i am just gonna make a pan from that with no springs and bolt it right to the frame, Just my ideas

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

AK.. hey... to answer your question on the other post... yes.. I ran the ECM connector cable back into the battery compartment through the hole on top of the oil reservoir... the same hole used for routing the brake/turn/tag light signal cables... the ECM connector is so big that it was pushing too much against the oil hose connection ... so I removed the ECM connector's walls and I applied Liquid Tape to the exposed cables, I then wrapped them with type insulation tape.. well... here is a copy of the previous post about ECM relocation:

I placed the ECM in the gap between the oil reservoir and the fender, I basically shamelessly stole Slackster idea (and the photo too.. :-) here is Slackster take:

mine is a little bit different, instead of cable tie wrap, I used a couple flat metal pieces with holes, secured to the ECM with stainless steel nuts and bolts, I then secured the metal pieces to the top two bolts that secure the oil reservoir... I will do my best to take pics tomorrow...

I have been also thinking about replacing the battery with a much smaller one... I saw a small motorcycle battery at Advance Auto Parts for $30... I am certain is small enough to allow the ECM and battery to share the battery compartment... I will let you know if I go that way..

Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM
akracing1603
Advanced

hey thanks alot joe this is a big help

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Hey AK and others... this is what I did in order to relocate the ECM... pretty similar approach to Slackster's... but I used two layers of metal strips typically used for securing plumbing pipes... here is a pic of my take:

I also used a flat sheet of galvanized metal to protect the ECM.. it goes all the way down and is secured
at the bottom to the wheel swingarm by velcro..

BTW... I made my own EL Cheapo seat pan ... I got a thin flat metal sheet that is used for chimneys/exhaust on rooftops.. the typical shiny cylindrical chimney used as kitchen/bathroom vents.. but I got the one that comes flat and you can roll to create your own cylinder... they are galvanized so I am certain it is going to be durable, and also thin.. so it is easy to shape and cut ... in order to cut it to a precise shape... I used transparent wrapping tape and I taped the top of the triangular seat area, and then with permanent marker I traced the triangular shape on the tape (I had a picture but some crackhead stole my phone at the gym) .. I carefully removed the whole tape template in one piece and I then taped it to the metal sheet... I slowly cut the metal using shears... and viola !! I got a cheaply made seat pan... I painted it flat black and I used car door trimming to give the borders a nice finish and to avoid the rattling of the pan due to vibration... metal sheet $ 6 at home depot.. car door trimming $ 6 at Advance Auto Parts... here are a couple pics:

Last edited by joebotics; 08-11-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Steve0
Cruiser

or actually make a box underneath the seat that conceals the ECM while keeping it place....tada!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:44 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

hey SteveO!... so.. is that the box I see on the pics you posted?... that is a great idea.. question... does the seat ever push against it when you go over a bump? I mean... does your seat ever bottoms out on top of the box? thanks!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Steve0
Cruiser

Originally Posted by joebotics
hey SteveO!... so.. is that the box I see on the pics you posted?... that is a great idea.. question... does the seat ever push against it when you go over a bump? I mean... does your seat ever bottoms out on top of the box? thanks!

no sir.....Have no problems what so ever...I hit a gaping hole last week that almost shot me off the bike!....

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is bolted beneath my seat on the pan. I don't ever hit it but I think if I had shorter lower spring studs it would be close.

Quick Reply: ECM relocation?