Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If a Bike has Been Sitting Unridden for a While...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

The worst thing for a bike is for it so sit unridden for long periods of time, however it is virtually impossible to know if there will be any problems until it is already yours. That is a great price. Maybe get him down a few more dollars by explaining that the seals might bust to due to lack of usage. That is what I would do.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:11 PM
aeproberts
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve380
I haven't ridden or owned a bike for many years and am about to jump back in. I'm buying a 2005 Sportster Low with 800 miles. It hasn't been ridden since 2006 and that was the last time it was serviced. Tags have been expired since August 2007. It's still with the original owner and has been garaged since new and looks like it's right off the showroom floor. Mods include forward controls and Python 2 into 1 pipes. I'm hoping someone may be able to tell me if it's likely that the engine or fork seals may be bad from sitting up so long? First stop is to get an oil change, inspection, etc. For the record, it's $4500 and also includes a bobtail fender kit which hasn't been installed yet, new battery and an HD FXRG leather jacket. Any help / advice would be appreciated!!!
I recently just bought an 02 sportster that had not been ridden since 03. (you can probably find my old thread on here somewhere). It also only had about 700 miles on it. Every bike is different, but I can tell you some things I faced and hopefully it is helpful.

- Gas is definitely junk. Had to clean tank, petcock and carb fully (Petcock might not have been needed, but better safe than sorry).
- Oil Change
- Transmission/Primary Fluid
- New Battery (you mentioned this is included)
- Don't know if this is true, but I was told to NOT use synthetic, especially for a bike that has been sitting. I did not have to change any engine seals and have not found a leak in over 800 miles of riding with regular conventional oil.
- My forks were OK, but I was worried about it so make sure to check them. If mine were OK after over 5 years than I imagine yours are fine if garage kept.
- Brake Fluid: mine was fine, but I changed it anyway (better safe than sorry)
- I also changed the oil a second time after like 500 miles and I recommend you do this as well. It is cheap, and the oil that came out was not that pretty to look at.
- I also found that running some Seafoam in my gas for the first few tanks was helpful.

Good luck.