Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Hang Around
Default Side mount plate with turn signals and Tail light

Good morning all!

So Iím looking for something to do with these god-awful turn signals, and my ugly-*** plate/tail light. I was hoping to maybe get a side-mount bracket, with integrated lighting. Does anyone have any experience, pros/cons, photos of something similar? Anyone have an opinion on a brand or model. I see very few out there.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Hang Around

chop that fender, and fab up some kind of a bracket for the plate, thats what i did
Attached Thumbnails
Side mount plate with turn signals and Tail light-100_1729.jpg   Side mount plate with turn signals and Tail light-100_1731.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Hang Around

i chopped my tail. mounted LED lights under it as turnsignals and bought a 59 caddy side tail and mount off fleabay.

Click the image to open in full size.

Jareds 05 883
V&H Straights shots, KW dragbars, Ebay rigid struts, Ebay smoked clear corners.
Soon to come: Chopped rear fender, Sidemount 59 Caddy taillight, Peanut tank, black spoked rims.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0NPHL1C7 View Post
Good morning all!

So I’m looking for something to do with these god-awful turn signals, and my ugly-*** plate/tail light. I was hoping to maybe get a side-mount bracket, with integrated lighting. Does anyone have any experience, pros/cons, photos of something similar? Anyone have an opinion on a brand or model. I see very few out there.
You will get tons of options here... I used a kit off of ebay for my plate and have been very happy with it. Best part it was only $50.

I couldn't find the Sportster version but, they have/had them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SIDE-...Q5fAccessories

Here's the best pic I could get to at work.

Later,
J

AKA - PHATTY
04' Sportster 883, Screamin' Eagle A/C, Hooker Troublemakers, Burley Slammer Kit, and LePera Solo Seat.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by akracing1603 View Post
chop that fender, and fab up some kind of a bracket for the plate, thats what i did

Ultimately I will be getting rid of the rear fender, but I have to wait until my girlfriend gets a bike. She rides on the back until next spring. My hope was to get rid of the turn signals too, and have those all on the plate bracket, but seeing how good yours look mounted to the struts, I kind alike that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
i chopped my tail. mounted LED lights under it as turnsignals and bought a 59 caddy side tail and mount off fleabay.

I like what you've got goin on right there too, and I could essentially keep my 2-up seat for when needed.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Hang Around

The 883 Iron has one from the factory that folds to the side I believe.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Road Warrior

I ran one of the side mounts from Road6 for a couple years http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ROAD-6-C...34Q2ec0Q2em322
Cheap and tougher than those I've made. Only reason I took it off was due to vert. plate regs. crack down in my area (couple of cop friends forewarned me). I plan to cut it down and make a horiz. version this winter so I can put it back on. I only paid. $14 at the time and now they're $19 which is still a deal.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttawes View Post
I ran one of the side mounts from Road6 for a couple years http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ROAD-6-C...34Q2ec0Q2em322
Cheap and tougher than those I've made. Only reason I took it off was due to vert. plate regs. crack down in my area (couple of cop friends forewarned me). I plan to cut it down and make a horiz. version this winter so I can put it back on. I only paid. $14 at the time and now they're $19 which is still a deal.
Wow that is pretty cheap. I was hopng to get one with an integrated tailight and turn signals though, so I can remove my fender alltogether, and still have the lights. I guess I'll just chop it and do similar to what was posted above.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

I made my own plate mount and changed out the signals with a flat lense style.

I put a led spot light in the tail light to light the plate.

1996 HD 1250 XLH "Custom" Stage 2 Heads, SE.497 Cams, SE Prog. Race Ignition.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over the Opinion of Sheep.
Vet: ★US ARMY 78 - 81★Patriot Guard Rider ID#45266 07/06/06★
1996 HD 1250 XLH
Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0NPHL1C7 View Post
Wow that is pretty cheap. I was hopng to get one with an integrated tailight and turn signals though, so I can remove my fender alltogether, and still have the lights. I guess I'll just chop it and do similar to what was posted above.
Road6 makes one that will accept model A or other taillight or of course you can devise your own light set up. No such thing as integreted turnsignals on a side mount (makes no sense having left & right lights on left side and having all those lights in a tight little area). Removing the fender entirely is not a good idea, just swingarm mount it, cut the fender struts off and run some mini signals off the shock mount perches.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 AM

P

Tags
04, hack, harley, light, lights, mount, nightster, shock, side, signails, signals, sportster, sportsters, tail, taillight, turn