Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fram Filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Young Rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fram Filters

Hello,

I have a question reguarding Fram filters. I have read a few posts that say not to use them. Why is this? The main reason I ask is I changed the oil in my Sportster 2 weeks ago and put on a Fram oil filter.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 05-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Markcuda
Banned
Default RE: Fram Filters

I will not or ever use a Fram filter on any thing that I own
But, you use what ever makes YOU feel good.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:08 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

ORIGINAL: Young Rider

Hello,

I have a question reguarding Fram filters. I have read a few posts that say not to use them. Why is this? The main reason I ask is I changed the oil in my Sportster 2 weeks ago and put on a Fram oil filter.

Thanks,

Jason
Fram's reputation has suffered in recent years. Can't prove it, but most everyone I know thinks it happened when Fram became the "filter of choice" at Wal Mart. Here's an oil filter study:
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Old 05-05-2005, 06:54 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

who makes the filters for harley?

Old 05-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Young Rider
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Markcuda

I will not or ever use a Fram filter on any thing that I own
But, you use what ever makes YOU feel good.
I was simply asking a question. I was not saying they were better than others I was just wondering why people do not us them.

--------

Thanks for the info pococj. I currently use Fram filters for my cars also but after reading that I do not believe that I will be using them anymore. Also I plan on picking up a Harley filter for my bike this Saturday.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:08 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

I run NAPA Gold filters. They're made by Wix, and are good filters at a reasonable price.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:59 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

For twin cam engines, HD specifies a 10 micron. They upgraded to what they call their "premium" when they came out with the TC 88 inch Engine.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-09-2005, 07:42 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: Young Rider

Hello,

Thanks,

Jason
Fram's reputation has suffered in recent years. Can't prove it, but most everyone I know thinks it happened when Fram became the "filter of choice" at Wal Mart. Here's an oil filter study:
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Many Many moons ago I worked at Napa as a Parts guy. We had a display with a fram and wix filters cut apart. At that time Frams were Junk and probably still are. I personnaly would not run a fram on Any of my motors. As a Side note it never ceases to amaze me when I read posts from people going "Ya I run oil in my bike that I bought at walmart. its a few dollars cheaper then the good stuff but it doesnt hurt and I have never had Any Problems."

Lets see here. You Spend Ten Thousand Dollars Or MORE on your harley and your gonna run Cheap oil or filters because you save a Few Dollars. In the Long Run are you Really saving money.

Just my 2 cents

LV

Old 05-09-2005, 11:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Many Many moons ago I worked at Napa as a Parts guy. We had a display with a fram and wix filters cut apart. At that time Frams were Junk and probably still are. I personnaly would not run a fram on Any of my motors. As a Side note it never ceases to amaze me when I read posts from people going "Ya I run oil in my bike that I bought at walmart. its a few dollars cheaper then the good stuff but it doesnt hurt and I have never had Any Problems."

Lets see here. You Spend Ten Thousand Dollars Or MORE on your harley and your gonna run Cheap oil or filters because you save a Few Dollars. In the Long Run are you Really saving money.

Just my 2 cents

LV

Actually, the Wal Mart store brand oil (Super Tech?) has tested out to be an excellent oil. Their synthetic version is a quality oil, too. Trouble with the "off" brand oils is ya never know when the vendor decides to change the source refiner. The batch you buy today might be OK, but the next change it might come from a completely different refiner, or have a completely different additive package.