Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First oil change

Getting ready to do my first oil change on the bike. I read a few things about it so I should be good, but I have a few questions.

The first oil change done on the bike since I've owned it was done at a shop and they put in Amsoil synthetic 20w-50, 3 quarts. That was done in the spring. Should I go with synthetic again or go back to conventional oil? I know synthetic runs at a lower temp, do I need that in these coming months, or are there other benefits to synthetic? Anyone use marvel mystery oil in their bike?

I've noticed I've had chrome oil filters on the bike, could I get those at any auto parts store or would I only find them at a motorcycle shop?

I know oil is going to come out of the filter when I take it off, how would you go about that to avoid getting the oil all over the place? Could I just slip another pan under it or will it drain right onto the bike?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 PM
UPSBROWN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I'd stick with the synthetic. As for the oil dripping all over. Drag Specialties has a little oil catcher type of deal that keeps the oil from dripping all over the place. Your local HD shop should have them. If not they can order them.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,876 Likes on 8,236 Posts

Originally Posted by ripto
I've noticed I've had chrome oil filters on the bike, could I get those at any auto parts store or would I only find them at a motorcycle shop?

I know oil is going to come out of the filter when I take it off, how would you go about that to avoid getting the oil all over the place? Could I just slip another pan under it or will it drain right onto the bike?
Gotta get the filter at a motorcycle shop.

Cut a 2 liter soda bottle, slide it under the filter to catch the oil..

Old 08-28-2009, 11:18 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Should I go with synthetic again or go back to conventional oil? I know synthetic runs at a lower temp, do I need that in these coming months, or are there other benefits to synthetic?

You don’t want to mix regular oil with synthetic oil, that’s for sure. Pick one or the other. I use synthetic oil (Mobil 1) myself, but there are many other good oil products out there and many threads on the HDForums about what oil is the best to use and the advantages of each product. Just do a search and a little reading and I’m sure that you will find enough interesting information to confuse you even further. Ultimately though, it is your bike and your decision. As for lower temperature? I am not sure what you mean by that. Synthetic oil can handle a higher temperature than regular oil before it starts to lose its protection benefits, thus it is a better choice for racing applications and riding in high temperature regions like the desert and such. I have heard that synthetic oil does not have any shelf life issues either so if you were to store your bike for an extended period of time there would be no problems with using it.

Anyone use marvel mystery oil in their bike?

I am familiar with the product but I have not ever used it so I can’t comment on the product. I use Mobil 1 synthetic 20-50 for V-Twin and I buy it at Pep Boys.

I know that you can get chrome oil filters at a motorcycle shop but I buy my oil filters at PEP Boys along with my oil but I do not know if you will find the oil filters in a chrome finish or not as I haven’t looked for chrome ones.

I run the motor first for a bit to get the oil hot, then I drain the oil out of the oil tank and into a drain pan, then, after the oil has stopped draining out I replace and tighten everything that I had to loosen and remove to get the oil to drain out. Once all that has been done, I move the drain pan to the area under the oil filter and I just use a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil like a tray and I push it back under the oil filter to catch all of the oil that WILL drip out after you remove the oil filter and to guild all of that oil into the waiting drain pan underneath. There are many ways and tools to use to loosen the oil filter, I use a strap wrench that I bought at Pep Boys and it works quite well. I use that same strap wrench for all of my motorcycles and cars and trucks. It is a very useful tool I must say. I have also seen the plastic trays that clip on under the oil filter, but I have not used them so I can’t comment on the product.

I hope that this information will prove useful to you in some way. Hey man, good luck with your oil change and ride safe.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

You don't mention your primary/tranny oil. That will take another quart. You "can" use the same 20w50 Motor Oil here but it is no longer the "preferred" oil recommended by the MoCo. A better choice is Mobil-1 75w90 Gear Oil.

As for the oil filter, I recommend you get it from the HD dealer. Your EVO motor requires a 30 micron filter. While other brand filters may be listed as "compatible", most won't tell you what micron they are and they vary from 5 - 30 micron. A chrome filter from the dealer is only ~$8.00.

Running a fully synthetic motor oil does typically reduce your running oil temp by 15 - 20 degrees.

TIP: - If you use a punch or #2 phillips screwdriver to punch 2 holes in the end of the old filter at the 6 & 12 o'clock positions before removing it you can drain most of the oil out of the filter and cut down on the oil mess when the filter is unscrewed.

Last edited by cHarley; 08-29-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
ripto
Road Master

Thanks for the replies. How often should the primary/tranny oil be changed?

Old 08-29-2009, 05:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ripto
Thanks for the replies. How often should the primary/tranny oil be changed?
For years prior to 06 it's every 5,000 miles, same as the engine oil.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:27 PM
ripto
Road Master

Alright, I'll check that section out in the service manual too.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM
spikeofwoolsey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Continuing this thread, will be doing a fluid change soon also. It seems straight forward, drain oil/remove,replace filter/add oil.
Question, the primary/tranny fluid is from the same plug? If so drain/open derby/add fluid/new gasket,tighten derby. If thats it, seems alot easier and cheaper than the stealer.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM
ripto
Road Master

Ok I'm making a list of stuff to get since I've never done this before, few questions:

1. In my owners manual it has 20w-50 and 10w-40. It says the 20w-50 (which is in my bike now) is good for 40*F air temperature and above. The 10w-40 is said to be better for starts in temps of below 50*F. Should I switch to 10w-40 now that fall/winter is coming since I ride anytime its above freezing or does that really not make much of a difference?

2. There is no filter for the transmission oil correct?

3. 3 quarts for the oil, 1 quart for the transmission correct?

Last edited by ripto; 09-03-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: First oil change