Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cough and sputter????

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:27 PM
pig iron
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cough and sputter????

Hey everyone! I know this subject has probably been covered before but I hav a couple of questions I hope maybe someone can clear up for me.

Got my Sportster XL1200C last month and now have about 200 hundred miles on her, the weather here has sucked. It was about 80 degrees today so I rode my bike to work and everything was fine. Got off this afternoon and rode home, about 6 miles and headed off to the gym, an hour later I came out and had to let the bike run a couple minutes before it would idle smoothly and I didn't use the choke because I figure the engine should be still warm and I don't want to foul the plugs, well about a mile up the road I'm sitting a a red light going up hill and I roll on the throttle gently and let out the clutch and the engine coughs and sputters it didn't die on me but kind of worries me because I don't think my bike should be this tempermental, I know they are supposed to be cold blooded and set lean at the factory but I just want to know if this is normal or not, the dealer told me a few weeks ago that this is ordinary for Sportsters and not to worry. Planning on getting the screaming eagle slip ons and the carb rejetted next year when I have the money to start adding extras to my bike, will this take care of he lean running condition??? Sorry to drag this subject out but I really love this bike but I'm frustrated by all of this and really don't like to fear the bike dying on me sitting a a stop light going uphill. Thanks for any insight and for your patience with this newbie to the Harley experience.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Anniesage
Road Master
Default RE: cough and sputter????

I had a similar situation when I got to about 300 on my 05 1200C. A few times of almost dying at a light, dying at a light, and sputtering like she had a hairball...brought her in and 1. they replaced the plugs cuz they were crummy (had been running a tad rich); and 2. had her rejetted. It was all covered under warranty - but since then we have had no incidences. And I have found since she is an air cooled engine - that within like 20-30 minutes she can be cooled down where by starting her might need a touch of choke, especially if you only went 6 miles - I find I need to go a good 15-20 before she is really warmed up.

And I do have the se pipes and love them!!!

But then again, you are talking with another newbie here - I now have a total of 590 miles on her. So, believe me, no expert here!

Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 PM
pig iron
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick response, being new to Harley's you start to think you don't know the mystical forces of these bikes and that I'm doing something wrong, I guess it will take time to learn all the secrets to the Sportster! So maybe I should use the choke to start up after a short ride unless I've gone 15 or 20 miles??? and run it half way out for a mile or so??? I know one thing when I get that 1000 mile service I'm going to really grill the service people about whether or not they need to rejet at that time. Thanks again for the input.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

if you purchased her brand new, I would go back as soon as I could so you can get it done under warranty...I kept thinking a few more miles - and that is the way I ended up having to replace the plugs at 200 miles...also made a big difference.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:19 PM
npd_66
Cruiser

I talked to my dealer about the same problem. They said they just had a sportster in there and had rejhetted the carbs and added a filter kit. Supposedly took care of the problem. i have also been doing some research on this forum about the M-1162 Service bulletin. It is the ICM reflash on '04 and early '05 models. Some people have said that this has taken care of the cough and some says it hasn't. I have mine scheduled to get the ICM update in a couple of weeks. I'll let youknow if it helps.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

thanks for letting me know your getting it done--had to stop in to the HD dealer yesterday to pick up my B-day gift from the dealer (Big birthday tomorrow, Sunday the 8th)...and I chatted with the service guy. He knew exactly what I was referring to about MM1162 service bulletin....for once they didn't look at me like I was a dumb blonde (although I did give them my quarter's worth about having my tire pressures set too high when I took delivery of her and on THAT subject they looked at me like a db - saying--you should always check the tire pressure--to which I said - I bought her brand new from you and you all checked her before delivery - why wasn't tire pressure checked ...etc. etc.)....

Anyhow, will be checking in with them with my Sporty to see if mine was affected by the service bulleting - although the Vin number in the computer didn't show that I needed the service bulletin done, the service guy did offer and say that I should double check under the seat just in case. Will probably get to it next week.

But please - npd 66 -let us know!

Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: npd_66

I talked to my dealer about the same problem. They said they just had a sportster in there and had rejhetted the carbs and added a filter kit. Supposedly took care of the problem. i have also been doing some research on this forum about the M-1162 Service bulletin. It is the ICM reflash on '04 and early '05 models. Some people have said that this has taken care of the cough and some says it hasn't. I have mine scheduled to get the ICM update in a couple of weeks. I'll let youknow if it helps.

Hmmm whats this? Dont really have any issues with my bike but if I need a reflash under warrenty I'm all for it. How do I find out about this and tell if my bike was included. I bought my 05 1200R in november 2004. Thanks in advance.