Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Springer Project pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightking
I converted an 06 sporty ove to a springer (DNA) two years ago. I had to install a spacer below the neck to extend the lower triple tree further down. I accomplished this by cutting the top collar nut in half. Yes, I said in half. It still won't give you enough turning radius without having to notch the frame. And believe me when I say this, because I have donw some pretty crazy mods in my life. But, the cheap DNA front end on a late model sporty is a battle you might lose. Not saying this for any other reason ,but to give you the insight that I didn't have. You know that Paughco makes a springer that bolts right on to that frame, right? What did you do to the fork lock that gets in the way of the front end?

he won't loose, the guy krypto he mentioned did it, cut the **** outta his frame and i have seen kryptos bike in person, he made it work (on a side note it would scare the **** outta me to ride around with a notch the big in my frame but krypto assured me that it was just as solid as stock...i still don't know)

looks good man, ya gotta take some pics of the griddin and reinforcemnt welding your doing, in those pics ya can't see any of it.

whats up with the old ironhead in the backround?? got any pics a that?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my god! that kik start Iron Head is killer! The best piece on the entire bike is the brass kickstart pedal. It was rebuilt from the ground up and sounds sweet. I will get that pic.

The fork lock was grinded off than covered with a little tab because it became a little hole that could let dust into the bearings. Like I said we decided not to really notch the frame but attack the lower tree than reinforce it.

I knew that paughco made a springer, but damn what a cost. Everything here is comming out to about $575 that's for parts and labor. That brake kit alone could of costed me about $300 but fortunately for me inmates are cheaper than residents from a 3rd world country.

Besides the Springer fork itself, everything else has been hand crafted by Big House Choppers. ( Bighousechoppers.net ) No chomos are employed by this shop. I prefer a killer over a sick freak.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 PM
FIDDY3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your bike is killer and ive used it as a guideline for doing my bike, but for some reason I think the nightster is too "stubby" looking for a springer front end . Either way, your bike is baaad. Keep up the good work!

Jaison

Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i like all the bikes
and the bridgeport mill in the corner

Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slackster
Oh my god! that kik start Iron Head is killer! The best piece on the entire bike is the brass kickstart pedal. It was rebuilt from the ground up and sounds sweet. I will get that pic.

The fork lock was grinded off than covered with a little tab because it became a little hole that could let dust into the bearings. Like I said we decided not to really notch the frame but attack the lower tree than reinforce it.

I knew that paughco made a springer, but damn what a cost. Everything here is comming out to about $575 that's for parts and labor. That brake kit alone could of costed me about $300 but fortunately for me inmates are cheaper than residents from a 3rd world country.

Besides the Springer fork itself, everything else has been hand crafted by Big House Choppers. ( Bighousechoppers.net ) No chomos are employed by this shop. I prefer a killer over a sick freak.
Good choice not to notch the frame. That is not the way to do it. The only way I've found to do it, was to cut the spacer nut in half and use half at the top and half at the bottom. It does lengthen the front end by a 1/2"-3/4" , but it will give you more turning radius. Yes, the Paughcos are higher, but they are a bolt on front end for this model. Good luck ,and be sure to psot photos of how you made it work.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:09 AM
packer
Cruiser

Paughco makes a springer that bolts right on ! ! ! !
Is this as simple as taking off the OEM forks and Bolting on the spinger front end?
no grinding or welding?
Has anyone used these
I would assume you need to modify the front brake and
wheel spacers

Old 09-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Charles:
Tourer

Originally Posted by packer
Paughco makes a springer that bolts right on ! ! ! !
Is this as simple as taking off the OEM forks and Bolting on the spinger front end?
no grinding or welding?
Has anyone used these
I would assume you need to modify the front brake and
wheel spacers
You forgot step 1 and 2:

1: Cut off one arm. Hand over to Paughco
2: Cut off one leg. Hand over to Paughco.

OP, what about getting a new triple tree bottom bracket machined? From what I know, that's the issue. The TT bracket that comes with the springer has the fork legs pretty even with the frame neck, where the stock sporty TT bracket has them a couple of inches forward, meaning a better turning radius.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
danktat
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks great! Keep the pix and progress reports coming!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your bike is so killer looking and only geting better. Keep up the good work man.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow I knew that mod was coming....looks good!

Quick Reply: Nightster Springer Project pics