Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice Custom 1988 Sportster For $2,650??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:26 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Nice Custom 1988 Sportster For $2,650??

I was snooping around the Kansas City CraigsList and notice the following (from Independence, MO). Looks to me like a heck of a deal for someone interested in a nice older bike;

"FOR SALE , USED 1988 HARLEY DAVIDSON SPORTSTER , WIDE FORK , CUSTOM TANK, FORWARD CONTROLS, RUNS AND RIDES GOOD $ 2650."

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 10-18-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:42 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was looking, I would jump all over that!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, it's very tempting.......

I've got some stuff I need to take care of this week, but if it's still available next weekend I might run up to Independence, MO and see the bottom line cash figure the guy might accept. I've already talked to some guys I know that live in that area and they are going to go look at the bike, check it's condition, verify the VIN, and get back with me.

If it's in A+ shape I might have them go ahead and put a deposit on the bike until I can get up there.

For a couple of years I've toyed with the idea of getting a older lighter weight Sportster and set it up for a "dual sport type" go anywhere ride. Do some suspension work, install 50/50 type on-off road tires, etc... Could be fun.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
kevmic28
Road Warrior

Looks like a great deal. I picked up my 88 sportster 1200 last month for 3 grand.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Bludgeon
Intermediate

wow, that's not a bad deal and I have been in the market lately plus its right down the road from me I'm going in for a closer look be back in a bit..going to be mad at me if i get it oldfenderguy?

Last edited by Bludgeon; 10-19-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bludgeon
wow, that's not a bad deal and I have been in the market lately plus its right down the road from me I'm going in for a closer look be back in a bit..going to be mad at me if i get it oldfenderguy?
Nope, I wouldn't be mad...... I won't send out a hit team to kill you or anything. ((Just Kiddin')).....

It's a good deal (from the description), and if it didn't sell for some reason I might grab it for a project.....

If you do go and look at it give us some detail information on it's condition, etc...

Old 10-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Bludgeon
Intermediate

Just got back from looking at it. When I got there it wouldn't start sounded to me like just needs new plugs but who knows has had a new speedo old wires are still hanging and has some rust mostly just on the tank and fender didn't see any on the frame that looked bad seat has a cut or two in it, you know all things you expect to see on an 88 overall not to bad of shape for the age. However it not starting doesn't sit well with me he said he would have his guy come by and put plugs in it them give me a call for a 2nd look but Im thinking for this to be a sale (to me) he is going to have to be more like 2000 and be running. Maybe thats me being a hardass but the add says "RUNS AND RIDES GOOD" and didn't start so $650 off the price for X amount in part to get it up to the advertised price seems fair to me. Because even if he gets it to start and has me come look again that doesn't fall under the "RUNS AND RIDES GOOD" category to me.

Last edited by Bludgeon; 10-19-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Usually when something sounds too good to be true...... It is.....

False advertising really pisses me off....

I would have been a VERY unhappy camper if I rode a couple hundred miles to see a bike that "Runs And Rides Good" only to find that it wouldn't even start.

But anyway, thanks for getting back with the information.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Bludgeon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Usually when something sounds too good to be true...... It is.....

False advertising really pisses me off....
I know what you mean pisses me off too! However he said it had been sitting a few weeks it might have ran ok ...last time he ran it, but still if he is selling it now it should run now! I am still thinking about it for myself if he gets it running and is willing to take $2000 flat for it. Reason being mainly that I sold my bike a few weeks ago and am DIEING without something to ride. Thought I could make it though winter without a bike but I have been waking up in cold sweats and crying for no reason in the middle of the day. what do you guys think if it fires and runs and he will take $2000 is it still a decent deal giving I don't have anything to ride right now but a silly little dirt bike?
Might hold me tell I get my Nightster

Old 10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Way I see it is that any running Harley is worth at least $2,000 (or even a little more)....

If they get it running, and it's not knocking or seem to have any major engine, primary, or tranny problems, it could turn into fun little bike.. Might need nothing more than a little 'tinkering'...

Quick Reply: Nice Custom 1988 Sportster For $2,650??