Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my Nightster fixed @ a dealership...Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM
DJ BNS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my Nightster fixed @ a dealership...Advice?

1st - I dropped my bike ..yeah its crap but i did... so i bring it to the dealership (Miracle Mile HD, Great Neck NY) It has been over two months now they have had it and they just now almost have all the parts ....

They explained to me that a fast bike repair takes 4 weeks and an average repair takes 6-8 weeks.....WTF?

The bike is an 09 Nightster needs bars and tank and minor other parts ......

2nd - I tell them that i want mini apes they say fine its not that drastic of a price difference that was a month and a half ago ... Two days ago i get a call saying its going to be 300-400 extra ....

Now i understand the price difference for the wiring and all but my argument with them is that informaiton would have been handy when we were discussing the option of the apes..instead they wait till last minute...

Makes me never want to work with this dealership ever again..they make it all seem easy and then screw you in the back end i had to do all the foot work with the insurance and do the work that the place fixing the bike normally should do....

So i am asking how long does it take to fix a bike with minor damamge (bars and tank)... and how much should it cost for the wiring on the apes..they gave me a final price of 250ish which seems right by my math but i just dont trust anything they say now so i am doing my own research.... thanks

MIRACLE MILE HARLEY DAVIDSON, GREAT NECK NY

Old 10-24-2009, 08:50 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

Sorry about your luck. I have heard stories of dealers charging upwards of 800 for a bar switch. Cables are expensive!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

**** bars and tank replace.
afternoon few beers done
dealers dont touch my rides
its a bitch it sucks.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Doc4545
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry to hear of your situation. I had the opposite experience here in the Denver area. Had the bike picked up by the dealer (Sun Harley) after the crash, they worked very closely with the adjuster.

Stayed in contact with me throughout the process, as the parts came in from Harley they were installed. Total time was from Aug. 24th when they picked it up, delivered to my house on Saturday Oct. 17 (it was ready 3 days before but I couldn't get it picked up). The bike and I were ready to head out on the same day .

Old 10-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club! I know how you feel. They wanted to charge me $975 to repair the clutch. Labor hourly rate is $85 an hour here in Vegas at the harley dealership. I ended up fixing it for $245

It's best to find your own non harley brand parts, you will almost always find them for about half the price. I just had a Vivid black nightster get internal wiring on some new mini apes and it was about half that price.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 AM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, it's hit or miss with the dealers anymore. Aint like the old days. Now it's all Barbie Doll dealerships and 600.00 leather jackets. I feel for you. My bike has been down since June 26th. Lost the whole summer. Only consolation was the dealer gave me a loaner. Happy for the bike, but in the end it was not my ride. And thats what counted.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 AM
cajun555
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats why i do all the work on my bike. I got rear ended year or so ago. Went to dealer to order fender, took 3 weeks to get fender with the correct factory paint. Sure the fender looked like chit but alot more fun riding than sitting in the living room watching re runs of I Love Lucy.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 AM
trib
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DJ,
Sorry (nut not surprised) to hear about you problems with the dealership. A few things to note. Just because you take your scoot to "The Dealership" doesn't mean that they hire quality mechanics. I had a horrid experiance with a dealership here in Albany NY (Spitzies) I had an intermittent electrical problem on my 98 Road-King. They had my bike for most of the summer season and handed me a bill for over 1k. In the end, the problem turned out to be a $2.00 electrical connection. They changed just about every sensor on my bike to include the ECM and each time I got it back, they told me it was fixed.
Dealership prices, while I understand their overhead are way out of line. Harley riders are partly to blame for this. They don't mind paying big bucks for farkles and geegaws. The dealerships know this and charge accordingly. Not to mention that if you didn't buy the bike at their place, you go to the end of the line.
Do yourself a favor; find a good indy and/or get the service manual, good tools, and wrench it yourself.
I understand that with all the new electrics, fuel injection, computers our bikes are getting harder to wrench, but I take my bike to the dealership only as a last result.
Good luck bud.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Adam_T
Cruiser

^^I agree 100%.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
3737pisces
Cruiser

Try being Patient for 11.5Wks...Yes! thats how long it did take before my Bike was repaired from a Rear End..The big spin about how hard to get Rear Guard from USA..What a Joke eh???? Then to top it off they forgot to put the bolts in to hold the seat screws Mmmmm!