Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choke her.............

Old 11-08-2009, 05:05 AM
sportster2009
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke her.............

Last month I was dealing with some carb. issues. My 1200 Sportster is very cold blooded. She starts fine as long as I give it full choke cold but the Harley guys told me to release the choke as soon as the bike fires and starts or I will kill my plugs, but upon release she will pop and spit until it reaches temperature. Carb. was cleaned and rejetted last week. Question is, If I leave the choke out until she warms up does that kill the plugs? Other guys say thats bull, run her with the choke out until shes ready to go. Any suggestions?

Old 11-08-2009, 05:28 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Was it doing this before it was rejetted? I ask because I used to need to pull the choke out just a tad on normal riding before it was jetted properly. I never had plug issues. I can see how it could foul the plugs but it would have to be dumping alot of fuel. I just followed the sound of the motor with the amount of choke until it was crisp...if that makes any sense.

I'm also not a Harley tech. Just trying to help you work through it.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What was the reson for the rejet? Did you change Air filter and exhaust? Was it Dynoed?

The Harley Guys are right... You will have to leave it all the way out for a couple of minutes depending on outside temperature, then move it in slowly as she warms up.... She'll tell you if you have it in too far... She'll cough.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 AM
sportster2009
Advanced

Yes, I had the problem before it was rejetted. But after the rejet and complete dyno tune, also plug change it corrected itself while running after reaching temperature. Now I just have the problem during cold start. If I leave the choke out, until it warms up, than no popping or coughing, but Im afraid of fowling the plugs. Harley guys say you can only run choke until the bike fires and starts. Is that correct? I have run my choke on for several minutes with my 883 and never had a plug fowl. How long do you guys run your choke full when first starting?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 AM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

start it on full then push in half and ride then off

Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RATROD HOG
start it on full then push in half and ride then off
exactly...but ya may wanna put yer hand on one of the rocker covers and see if'n she's warm b 4 ya take off

Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You won't foul the plugs unless you putt around all day in town with the choke out, or similar rideing habbits. Pull the choke out, start her up and when she starts to take some throttle, back in the choke till you have it all the way in. Watch your tach and keep it above 1000/1200 rpm's till she warms up.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:40 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds pretty normal to me depending upon the outside air temperature. For a reference point for you, the colder it gets, the harder it is to start my '05 Sportster. Bike will always fire right up but I always have to give it some choke more then half way when the bike is cold and the air is cooler....50's or below.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My bike is also very cold natured. It depends on the outside temps, as I ride in everything from over 100 degrees down to zero degrees. As a general rule, I do a full choke until the bike starts to make a "popcorn" sound. Then half choke. Ride that way for a half mile up to a couple of miles, depending on the temps. Then close the choke. 64,000 miles, and have never had a problem with plugs fouling.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I start mine with full choke and leave it on until it sounds right, I know that is subjective but it is my way. I have never fouled a plug. Even if you do foul one they are cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choke her.............