Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Hang Around
Default What Year is my Ironhead?

Hi there, greeting from "Down Under". I have just joined the forum and was wondering if you folk might be able to pin point exactly where my bike fits into year wise. I have posted this on another forum and the folks helped with what they knew but I thought I would give it shot here.
I have what I think is a 1983 ironhead Sportster. It is a great bike with 49,800 original km on the dial. Goes great, although it would be better if I could tune the carb to the straight through pipes I have. Anyway that's not the reason I am posting, the reason is this. My vin seems to suggest that my bike is a 1984 model. The only reason I doubt this is that any picture I look at for a 1984 is different than my bike. Only in minor details like the single speedo that is on the 83 which mine has and also the concertinered front end covers, mine does not have any just like the 83.
Anyway, this is the vin number if any of you kind folk can decipher it for me. 1HD1CCH38EY116002...................any help I would be thankful for.
Besides this, the old girl (Rosie) goes great, I am glad I went for lunch at a restaurant that was over the road from a biker who owned a shop that happened to have a 1983/84 Ironhead sitting in his font yard as I looked across from where I was eating! Lunch was $200 for three people, Rosie was $4,200.....
Stay well all and enjoy your ride whatever it is.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

The VIN given shows that it is a 1984, XLX, 4 speed 1000c Ironhead.

Click the image to open in full size.

(The Great Thing Is To Know When To Speak, And When To Keep Silent)

And By The Way; I'm Not Your "Bro"..

Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 PM

P

Tags
1983, davidson, decipher, decipher1979, find, harley, head, identify, iron, ironhead, motor, speed, sportster, vin, year