Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power - Feel question

Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power - Feel question

I'm seriously considering getting a Sportster Custom. I want power and have been reading about different ways to get it. One of course would be to get the 1200 and pay the Harley Tax. Another would be to get an 883 and have the conversion to a 1200 done. I've read conflicting opinions which is the best approach. I was told by a salesman when I mentioned mybe getting an 883 and having the conversion done that they do it all the time and if I get the coversion done using Buel high performance parts the bike will out perform a stock 1200 with the Harley tax paid.

I'm looking for opinions here ... which approach do you think would get me the best performing Sportster for the lowest cost? (Cost IS a consideration)

Getting a stock 1200 and paying the Harley tax? (SE slip ons, air cleaner and have the jets done)

Getting a 883 and having it converted to a 1200 using Buel high performance parts and of course pay the Harley tax? (I'm told this total upgrade including labor and "Harley tax" would cost around 2 grand.)

I look forward to your opinions!
THX!

Old 07-11-2006, 09:34 PM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Power - Feel question

I don't know what this Harley Tax your speaking of is.... but after it's all said and done the serial number will still say it's a 883.... not that there is anything wrong with that... except at resale time....

If you plan on keeping the bike forever....

Are you getting all the chrome and stuff like that and if you were going to chrome it up to the 1200 custom level what would it cost you....

I got the 1200 Custom.... (I guess Harley Tax and all) lol

A tenth or so in a quarter mile just isn't that important to me.... I like the bling!!!

The 1200 will run, but then again... what's important to you.... You're the one that has to ride it....

Charlie D.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:44 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing shinny on my last bike (BMW) was the stainless exhaust. This time I wanted CHROME. I didn't have to make a decision. I have the 1200 C.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: dbleagle

I don't know what this Harley Tax your speaking of is.... but after it's all said and done the serial number will still say it's a 883.... not that there is anything wrong with that... except at resale time....Charlie D.
When I first started visiting the various Sportster Forums I also heard about "Paying The Harley Tax", "Stage 1", etc., and had no idea what it meant.

It appears that 'Paying Taxes' is nothing more than the same thing we've done for years, opening up the exhaust to increase exhaust flow, increasing air flow by installing a better flowing filter system, and optimizing the air/fuel mixture throughout the operating range.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser

Well as was said earlier if your going to keep it for a long time and dont care about the value later then I guess you could get the 883 and make it a 1200.But if you plan on upgrading sometime then you will have a 1200 engine and still have an 883 trade in price or selling price.And by the time you buy an 883 and upgrade it to a 1200 then how much difference is there in the cost? And a 1200C has most of the chrome you would want allready if you like chrome.So then if you want that on an 883 you have to figure the extra cost of that also.Just really depends on a lot of different things.You will pay the harley tax either way...lol

Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

The Harley Tax refers to putting on a different exhaust or slip ons. SE or something more open. Getting a better flow air cleaner and having the carb rejetted. A lot of forums refer to this as the Harley Tax because you NEED to do this to make the bike perform and sound as it SHOULD. Because it's considered a MUST it's refered to as the Harley Tax. Dealers will tell you they never heard of the trem but they have. It's just a negitave term so they don't use it. Basically Stage 0.5.
ORIGINAL: dbleagle

I don't know what this Harley Tax your speaking of is.... but after it's all said and done the serial number will still say it's a 883.... not that there is anything wrong with that... except at resale time....

If you plan on keeping the bike forever....

Are you getting all the chrome and stuff like that and if you were going to chrome it up to the 1200 custom level what would it cost you....

I got the 1200 Custom.... (I guess Harley Tax and all) lol

A tenth or so in a quarter mile just isn't that important to me.... I like the bling!!!

The 1200 will run, but then again... what's important to you.... You're the one that has to ride it....

Charlie D.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

I never considered the chrome or lower resale. Guess if I get a sporty it'll be a 1200 Custom.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 PM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser

Well as we said you will be the one riding it so dont let us make the decision for you.But either one will be a blast to ride.But yes those are things that have to be considered.If you check on the price of chroming the engine parts that are allready on a 1200C then you will see how much it will add on to the allready expensive upgrade from 883 to 1200.Hope you make the right decision for YOU.And ride safe and let us know what you decide.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:24 AM
Crossbones
Road Master

go with the 1200c and get the stage 1 kit and you'll love the power. the benefits listed above i feel outweigh the conversion. plus the HD dealer will warranty your add-ons for the same 2-year vehicle warranty when you purchase them with the bike. another nice little benie! good luck and let us know how it turns out. stay safe...

Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
soundzgood
6th Gear

dbleagle,

I know this is a little off topic, but how do you like those troublemakers? I've been looking at them for a while, but haven't found anyone that actually owns them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power - Feel question