Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 AM
beachcrab
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool question

ok, so i have my shiny new nightster and i want to do my own wrenching... but having had a very busy beach wedding bizz here on the coast, i have nothing but junked odds and ends for tools. this is embarrasing as a former aircraft mech to admit! so it's time to finally get some new stuff, so my question is, what size tool kit (metric or standard) should i get? i'm not rich, but will be looking to get wrenches, socket sets, and i see lots of allen wrench type fittings.. metric, standard? a mix? i'm not going to be taking my motor apart... just things like the ability the r&r my shocks and bolt on parts.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

harley is standard.... but you gonna need both. Right now is a good time to buy prices are down and sales are running from now till jan

Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Danny D
Road Warrior

I am not so sure about metric for HD work. Besides all the socket wrenches, don't forget a full array of allen and torx wrenches. Another decision is what tools to take with you on a road trip.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:41 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

There are various metric fasteners on a Harley. Lower fork slider/damper tube bolt and battery connections are a few. It's hard to beat Craftsman for value, but everyone already knows that. Don't forget a torque wrench. I've gotten away with only a ft/lb so far. In/lb values are listed sometimes, but I just convert it to ft/lb and haven't gone off the scale yet.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:47 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Craftsman for my money. There should be some really good pre Christmas sales soon. I am always looking to add tools, my wife doesn't get it, kind of the same with all of the guns. A good mechanics set will get most of the stuff done with the addition of some allen and torx sets.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM
ericb445
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...ame=Tools+Sets

That should get you in the game. You may have to buy a larger socket for the axle nuts.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 AM
midnight2005
Banned

Craftsman is ok for the home DIY'er. I suggest staying away from their ratchets. If you are going Craftsman get a professional series ratchet. You will be glad you did. I also suggest staying away from those kits, they sell you too many tools that you will never use. Do your shopping and chose wisely, buy what you need and buy something worth having. Remember you have your Harley to think about, stripped bolts, scratched chrome and busted knuckles from cheap tools are no fun.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
Craftsman for my money. There should be some really good pre Christmas sales soon. I am always looking to add tools, my wife doesn't get it, kind of the same with all of the guns. A good mechanics set will get most of the stuff done with the addition of some allen and torx sets.
+1 - For the weekend wrench, it's hard to beat what you get for the buck. Craftsman tools are not the top of the line professional grade tools, but then you're not doing this for a living. Over the past 30 years I've broken a couple of ratchets and sockets, but Sears replaced them for free, no questions asked, every time.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
beachcrab
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone. i have a sears store nearby, so i'll scope out their stuff. for hard to reach areas on the bike, do you recommend ratcheting wrenches? thanks for the help...

Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Beachcrab...don't forget to check out Lowes or Home Depot. Lowes has the rachet-wrenches for a good price, both from gearwrench and colbolt{sp}. I'll stay with my Snap-on screwdrivers and allen, torx bits. Less stripping of hardware with top line tools.

Quick Reply: Tool question