Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Cleaner

Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 PM
jbyun
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaner

Every oil change I get in my car, I go ahead and buy a bottle of the STP Fuel Injector cleaner and pour it in when I get a full tank of gas. I was wondering if this may be something I can do every couple thousand of miles on my 08 Nightster and wanted to see if anyone had any input.

Also, the entire bottle is for a 16 gallon tank so how would I know how much of it to put in the bike tank other than measuring out 1/5 of the content if I choose to do so? Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt do it. dont ask me why..i just wouldnt do it...

i think all that stuff can prove to be more harmful than beneficial.

i'm sure the post police are gonna chime in as to why i'm such an idiot..but i still wouldnt do it.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the Berrymans brand injector cleaner, it costs a little more but a much better cleaner. Use the proper amount per gallon of gas, simple as that. Do it on one tank fill only and save the rest of the bottle for later use, or throw it in the car. I use the stuff once a season. Another great fuel treatment is Seafoam, which is actually a little nicer to use at the end of the season cause it acts as a fuel stabilizer as well. Personally I use seafoam on the bike, and Berrymans in my cars. Follow directions and any of these products are safe and effective for use on motorcycles.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Crank1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've used those kinds of products in a lot of my vehicles and it just seems they are hokey and don't actually do anything, but make you feel better. I do believe that as long as you use it in the correct aspect ratio, with fuel to fuel cleaner, its not going to hurt anything, such as seals or hoses. Its completely up to you at that time. I'd just run some quality fuel in it, and it should be fine.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:29 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seafoam!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:33 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with SportyPig. If you do need your fuel system cleaned then Seafoam is what you should use.
I was skeptical of that fuel cleaning crap too but I have an old abused lawn mower that I never drain the gas out of each year at wintertime, never changed the oil let alone add any or even check it etc. Well it was running pretty rough so I figured what the hell, I'll go and get some of this so called magic Seafoam stuff and try it in the mower. Well I couldn't believe it but it did indeed make it run a heck of a lot smoother and the engine stopped vibrating like Oprah on a waterbed.

Now I don't know if I would use it every oil change but maybe once a year. Anyways the stuff really works if you do have a dirty fuel system.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't put that stuff in your bike or your car, it does almost nothing other than lighten your wallet.
Mechanic in a can is a joke I sold all the differant brands for years and non of them do anything the best thing you can do is use a good quality gas and you won't have any problems, change your fuel filters on time that will do more for you than additives.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course remember if you use these products on an already clean system then no you will not notice any difference and think they don't do anything.
My mower was pretty nasty and yes it did make a noticeable difference. I hope nobody keeps their bike up like I do my lawn mower though.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best fuel injection cleaner around?
rip out the entire EFI system, then sell it on ebay and put in a mikuni carb kit and you'll never have to pay for liquid solution crap again or have to pay for adjusting, oops i meant 'recalibration' of yer EFI again.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Seafoam!
Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I agree with SportyPig. If you do need your fuel system cleaned then Seafoam is what you should use.
I was skeptical of that fuel cleaning crap too but I have an old abused lawn mower that I never drain the gas out of each year at wintertime, never changed the oil let alone add any or even check it etc. Well it was running pretty rough so I figured what the hell, I'll go and get some of this so called magic Seafoam stuff and try it in the mower. Well I couldn't believe it but it did indeed make it run a heck of a lot smoother and the engine stopped vibrating like Oprah on a waterbed.

Now I don't know if I would use it every oil change but maybe once a year. Anyways the stuff really works if you do have a dirty fuel system.

+3.

Originally Posted by ernofsteel007
the best fuel injection cleaner around?
rip out the entire EFI system, then sell it on ebay and put in a mikuni carb kit and you'll never have to pay for liquid solution crap again or have to pay for adjusting, oops i meant 'recalibration' of yer EFI again.

Of course.....I'm kinda partial to this answer too, lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner