Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputtering and poofing after warm up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 04:28 PM
marko69
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering and poofing after warm up.

I start the bike up (cold) and it runs just fine, ride it for about 5 or 10 mins with no problem. Start it back up after 10mins or so, and it starts just fine and idles fine but when I apply the throttle, it starts to hesitate, sputter and "poof" out the carb. If I apply the throttle very slowly I can get up some speed, but if I apply it faster, it will just hesitate and sputter. This was the same scenario yesterday and today.
Just won't seem to run right after it's warmed up. Seems to idle fine.

I checked the plugs, they seem ok (although the electrode looks a little smaller on the front plug). While it was idling, I sprayed carb cleaner at what I think are the intake points (red arrows below) with no change. I also drained the tank and put in new gas, no change.

What should I do next?? Clean out the carb maybe?

It's an '05 883 stage 1, with only 1,600 miles on it. I haven't done any work on it.

Before starting it today.

after riding it.

This is where I sprayed the carb cleaner.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

dirt in the carb.?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Those plugs look very rich, and the rear plug appears to have oil on it. The two lower arrows are the intake manifold to the cylinders, but that top arrow looks like it is pointing at the fuel line to the carb???

When you had the re-jet done for your stage 1, how much bigger did you go? One size up would probably be enough, so you should be at a max of 45/180. I would prefer a 44/175 and a nice adjustment of the idle mixture screw.

The carb pop could very well be a result of the fouled plugs not firing right. You need to re-examine your carburetor jetting and fuel mixture before this problem will be solved. Further evidence of this will be that you probably have been getting less than stellar gas mileage as well.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 PM
marko69
5th Gear

I've only owned the bike about 8 months, but the guy I bought it from, bought it new with the stage 1, so I'm not sure what the jetting is. He said he suspected they didn't do it right because he also got a poofing or poping from the carb once in awhile. I also got the poping when I first started riding it, but it only happened once in awhile. The issue now is that when it's warmed up, I can't even give it gas or it will constantly hesitate and pop to the point of dying.
I guess I can take apart the carb next weekend and clean it out and also check what jets are in there.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM
marko69
5th Gear

Oh, the upper red arrow is supposed to be pointing where the carb meets the intake piece. The fuel line is hiding it.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Gotcha. Just judging from those plugs, it's fouling and not sparking/burning completely. I would buy a set of new plugs while you're at it. That may solve your problems (only temporarily), and you'll need them after you fix it. If you do take the carb apart to rejet it, read up at http://www.harley-performance.com/index.html about carb jetting and tuning. That should help.

Maybe the reason it only does it warm is that it has run and given the plugs a chance to build up gunk and it makes the spark worse as time goes on. Google spark plug reading to get an idea of what a good plug looks like, and where yours are at.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Plug reading Is an art,,good to see someone passing on the skill XD

Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Osco
Plug reading Is an art,,good to see someone passing on the skill XD
Thanks. I'm no expert, but it's relatively easy to tell when something is right or wrong. Now very precise tuning based on plugs, that IS an art!

Marko, just for reference, here are pics of my plugs. They are not the best, but are pretty good. Most of my riding is in the mid-range "lean zone" of the factory needle, so it is a little leaner than used for a performance application and doesn't have that coffee color a lot of people shoot for. It's still perfectly acceptable, as it's been going on well over 10k miles on the bike (plugs pictured), and my car has the same looking plugs and is great at 150k miles.

Attached Thumbnails Sputtering and poofing after warm up.-img_0402.jpg   Sputtering and poofing after warm up.-img_0405.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Thanks. I'm no expert, but it's relatively easy to tell when something is right or wrong. Now very precise tuning based on plugs, that IS an art!

Most of my riding is in the mid-range "lean zone" of the factory needle,
that coffee color a lot of people shoot for. It's still perfectly acceptable,
That first plug Pic ,,that was mine Untill I added the X14ieD,,then
I got coffie XD
This one Is way cool,,,
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=920271

Last edited by Osco; 04-25-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 PM
marko69
5th Gear

I may have hopefully found the problem here. I found that I have a DTC code of 0373. My manual doesn't have that code in it, but a search here shows a crank position sensor. I'll get one at the dealer and replace it this week. I'll let you all know how that goes.

Quick Reply: Sputtering and poofing after warm up.