Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipstreamer SS-32 Falcon Windshield

Old 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
rasaine
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipstreamer SS-32 Falcon Windshield

I just installed the Slipstreamer SS-32 20C Falcon on my 2009 XL 1200 Custom. I had been using a HD Sport windscreen.
I have to say the Slipstreamer is a HUGE improvement. It fits very well, and looks great. The 20C is the 20” high model with the standard mounting hardware. It is a perfect fit for the Sportster. I mounted it as low as I could, about ¼ inch clearance between the headlight and curve at the bottom of the windshield. I am 6 feet tall; the top of the windshield is about even with bottom of my nose. I have vision over the windshield at about 30 feet ahead of the cycle. I have taken it up to 70 mph. I have noticed no buffeting, and it really knocks the wind off me. My arms, shoulders, and head were not being pushed around at all. I did feel a little wind around my hips from the airflow coming from under the windshield, but it was negligible. It was a cold 39 degrees on my test drive. The Handlebar extensions did a good job of deflecting the wind off my hands.
The mounting hardware is very well Chrome plated and seems to be of good quality.
The windshield itself has some sculpture to it. It has curves where the Handle Bar covers extend out and has some other subtle curves in the main part of the windshield. It is not just a flat piece of Plexiglas bent in a slight curve. So far I am very pleased.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nice, now we got to see them pics!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
rasaine
Advanced
Default Pictures as requested

Full Front View:

Front Closeup:

Side View:

Last edited by rasaine; 03-06-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Restore pictures
Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 PM
rasaine
Advanced
Default 3 more

Rear view:

Headlight Fit:

Mounting Bracket:

Last edited by rasaine; 03-06-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Restore pictures
Old 02-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Roosterman
Novice

Thanks for the review. One question I have, how tall are you? I'm looking at a slightly different model SS-30 22". I'm about 6' tall so I'm trying to gauge where this would line up with my line of sight.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:01 AM
rasaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roosterman
Thanks for the review. One question I have, how tall are you? I'm looking at a slightly different model SS-30 22". I'm about 6' tall so I'm trying to gauge where this would line up with my line of sight.
I also am 6'0". But I have short legs (30" trouser length) and a long torso. In order to have the handle bar extensions line up with your hands, you need to mount the windshield as high as possible on the forks. I have now moved mine all the way up against the top triple clamp and adjusted the Handle Bars back to original position. With my 20", in normal riding posture I can see over the top of the shield to about 50 - 60 feet in front of me. If I slump slightly I am looking through the shield. This seems to be the perfect arrangement. I get almost zero buffeting.
I believe with a 22" you will be looking through the shield most of the time, and have to sit very upright to see over it. But, if yours does not have the hand extensions, you can easly adjust the height up and down on the forks to get it where you want it.

Also, I have now installed the Harley Davidson "Quick release Clamps". I can remove the windshield in less than a minute and NOTHING remains on the Bike. No tools required. REALLY SWEET!! I improvised a cable with a lock to prevent “Casual Theft”. I can post pictures of the installation if you want.

Last edited by rasaine; 02-15-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Roosterman
Novice

Originally Posted by rasaine
I also am 6'0". But I have short legs (30" trouser length) and a long torso. In order to have the handle bar extensions line up with your hands, you need to mount the windshield as high as possible on the forks. I have now moved mine all the way up against the top triple clamp and adjusted the Handle Bars back to original position. With my 20", in normal riding posture I can see over the top of the shield to about 50 - 60 feet in front of me. If I slump slightly I am looking through the shield. This seems to be the perfect arrangement. I get almost zero buffeting.
I believe with a 22" you will be looking through the shield most of the time, and have to sit very upright to see over it. But, if yours does not have the hand extensions, you can easly adjust the height up and down on the forks to get it where you want it.

Also, I have now installed the Harley Davidson "Quick release Clamps". I can remove the windshield in less than a minute and NOTHING remains on the Bike. No tools required. REALLY SWEET!! I improvised a cable with a lock to prevent “Casual Theft”. I can post pictures of the installation if you want.
I appreciate the offer. It would be interesting to see how you've set this up, thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM
rasaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roosterman
I appreciate the offer. It would be interesting to see how you've set this up, thanks.
I'll try to get some pictures posted today or tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
rasaine
Advanced
Thumbs up Pictures as requested

Notes:
The “Theft Deterrent” cable is much more noticable in the picture than it is in real life, I guess because the Camera Flash is lighting it up. It is made of 3/16” Vinyl coated steel cable from Lowe’s.

In the “Bracket Mod” picture you can see how I trimmed the original SlipStreamer mounting bracket to accommodate the Quick Release clamps. Easily done with a pair of sheet metal shears.

The Clamps are Harley Part # 58174-04A. They do not come with the bolts to attach the windshield. Do not purchase the Harley bolts. They are "Shouldered" and will not work well with the SlipStreamer bracket. I bought 4 SS 5/16-24 bolts 1/2” long. Don’t get them any longer, they will jam the clamp mechanism and not allow it to properly close.

The Clamps fit REALLY TIGHT on the forks, no chance of them moving around or the Windshield flapping.

Lock side:

Right Side:

Off the Bike:

Bracket Mod:

Last edited by rasaine; 03-06-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Restore Pictures
Old 02-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Playashaft
Intermediate

i like it very nice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slipstreamer SS-32 Falcon Windshield