Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help installing grips

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 PM
p8nter
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help installing grips

need help installing grips can some one please help...I herd the throtel side is a real pain the arze

Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I remember correctly you just cut them off , use black electrical tape on the base for the grips and get them wet with gas and slip on the grips, when the gas dries up the grips will be well stuck.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually the left side is the real pain if they are rubber and need to be glued on.
The right side is easier except for the throttle cables.

Ok......Start with tools...you are going to need both a T-25, and a T-27 Torx head bit or driver.

Then you are going to start with the left side because it's a whole lot eaisier even tho it's a pain the first time you do it...(Left as in sitting on the scoot).

Take the T-25 bit and remove the screws holding the left switch housing in place(one on top, one on bottom)..,.now remove the clutch lever clamp screws using the T-27 bit......Pry the switch housing apart and the clutch clamp will release....let the clutch lever simply hang by the clutch cable. Wrap it in a rag if it looks like it might scratch your tank or front fender.

Now stop and put the left side back together.....no joke, stop and put it all back together...you really need to do this now if you expect to learn how the pieces fit and how the switch housing interlocks with the clutch clamp and how the two assemblies go together, so first take them apart, and then reassemble them.....in the process you will learn how the two assemblies mate up and how they have to be manipulated to get the little dog on the switch housing to engage the slot on the clutch clamp...it's kinda the same on the right side, but a little harder.

Got it?....ok, let's move on.......Remove the left side again and let it hang.....cut the old grip off using a razor knife.(removing and reattaching the old rubber grip is a whole nother tread)

Slip new left grip on handlebar and then sorta arrange switch housing to where it is almost fully installed....hold the switch housing in place loosely while you turn new grip to where the thick rubber flanges on the grip match up with the inside edges of the lower switch housing....now attach the clutch clamp making sure to engage the dog on the switch housing with the notch on the clamp.....Now alternately tighten all 4 Torx screws while you wiggle and fit it all togeter.....Remember not to over tighten the switch housing screws, because it is the lever clamp screws that really hold it all on the bars.

If you can get that part done, we can move on to the right side. If you can't do the left, then we stop and you pay a guy to do it.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 PM
67bullitt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oinker your a good guy man, Nice job on the bag give away.
I'm doing the same grip switch and already have the left one done it was easy. So please go on and fix me up with how to do the throttle side.
This is the best group of forum members most everyone is cool and helpful.
Thanks Rich

Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 PM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by 67bullitt
Oinker your a good guy man, Nice job on the bag give away.
I'm doing the same grip switch and already have the left one done it was easy. So please go on and fix me up with how to do the throttle side.
This is the best group of forum members most everyone is cool and helpful.
Thanks Rich
Ok, then let's move on......

On the right side, stand in front of the bars and squeeze the front brake....look at the gap exposed tween the brake lever and the brake lever clamp....you gotta stick something in there before you remove it.

Place a flattened cigarette butt in that space or fold you up some paper til it's about as thick as two/4 matchbook covers. this will protect the brake light switch from damage. If you don't smoke tobacco, then reach behind your ear for the roach and stick it there for now.

Now get you two little bitty wrenches and loosen both throttle cable adjustments until both are fully slacked.

Get out your T-25 bit and remove the screws on the right side switch housing...Now use the T-27 bit to remove the mastercylinder/brake lever housing and once again let them hang.

Pry apart the switch housing and lift the top enuff to see the upper half of the right grip inside the housing...You will see the ends of the throttle cables and two little bitchy brass thingys...Curse them now to get it over with....have spare little brass thingys on hand because you are most likely goona loose one or both....Curse them again.

Hold the switch housing in place and twist the throttle open all the way while you attempt to generate slack in the rear cable to force it to rise up out of the groove in the grip.....Keep farking with it till you get that slack, then pull the cable up until you can slide the little bitchy brass thingy out.....This is when it will fly off and be lost.....kick the dog and fetch your spare brass thingy and lay it in reach....better go ahead and place both spare little bitchy brass thingys in reach.....

Once you have removed the rear cable and lost the little bitch brass thingy, then it's easy to do the same with the front one.

Remove old grip and slide on the new one. Rotate new grip placing the holes for the little bitchy brass thingys at the top........Now grab one of your new spare little bitchy brass thingys and finger it onto the end of the front cable, and pull like hell on the cable until you take all the slack out of the cable and roll the grip forward while you cuss and try to work the bitchy little brass thingy into the tiny little hole in the new grip.

Once the bitchy little brass thingy is in place on the front cable, let the throttle roll and then kick the dog and drink a beer cause the rest is easy.

Ok, we are almost done.....Get a grip on the exposed end of the idle return cable and pull it upwards to remove all slack....install your last bitchy little brass thingy and then roll the throttle backwards while you attempt to insert the bitchy little brass thingy in that impossibly small hole in the grip....If you manage to get it there, then reassemble the switch housings and master cylinder like you did the left side....Then remove cig butt. then swill what its left of your beer while you pet the dog.

Now you know why your dog hates your motorcycle

Find your two little bitty wrenches and readjust your throttle cables.

Last edited by oinker02; 01-26-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 AM
p8nter
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oinker02
Ok, then let's move on......

On the right side, stand in front of the bars and squeeze the front brake....look at the gap exposed tween the brake lever and the brake lever clamp....you gotta stick something in there before you remove it.

Place a flattened cigarette butt in that space or fold you up some paper til it's about as thick as two/4 matchbook covers. this will protect the brake light switch from damage. If you don't smoke tobacco, then reach behind your ear for the roach and stick it there for now.

Now get you two little bitty wrenches and loosen both throttle cable adjustments until both are fully slacked.

Get out your T-25 bit and remove the screws on the right side switch housing...Now use the T-27 bit to remove the mastercylinder/brake lever housing and once again let them hang.

Pry apart the switch housing and lift the top enuff to see the upper half of the right grip inside the housing...You will see the ends of the throttle cables and two little bitchy brass thingys...Curse them now to get it over with....have spare little brass thingys on hand because you are most likely goona loose one or both....Curse them again.

Hold the switch housing in place and twist the throttle open all the way while you attempt to generate slack in the rear cable to force it to rise up out of the groove in the grip.....Keep farking with it till you get that slack, then pull the cable up until you can slide the little bitchy brass thingy out.....This is when it will fly off and be lost.....kick the dog and fetch your spare brass thingy and lay it in reach....better go ahead and place both spare little bitchy brass thingys in reach.....

Once you have removed the rear cable and lost the little bitch brass thingy, then it's easy to do the same with the front one.

Remove old grip and slide on the new one. Rotate new grip placing the holes for the little bitchy brass thingys at the top........Now grab one of your new spare little bitchy brass thingys and finger it onto the end of the front cable, and pull like hell on the cable until you take all the slack out of the cable and roll the grip forward while you cuss and try to work the bitchy little brass thingy into the tiny little hole in the new grip.

Once the bitchy little brass thingy is in place on the front cable, let the throttle roll and then kick the dog and drink a beer cause the rest is easy.

Ok, we are almost done.....Get a grip on the exposed end of the idle return cable and pull it upwards to remove all slack....install your last bitchy little brass thingy and then roll the throttle backwards while you attempt to insert the bitchy little brass thingy in that impossibly small hole in the grip....If you manage to get it there, then reassemble the switch housings and master cylinder like you did the left side....Then remove cig butt. then swill what its left of your beer while you pet the dog.

Now you know why your dog hates your motorcycle

Find your two little bitty wrenches and readjust your throttle cables.
thanks for the info man

Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow , good one Oinker I didn't realize things changed so much.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM
will227457
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice post oinker.....

do what he says it's really easy otherwise you need to take it into a guy...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One very important point left off. Or at least I didn't see it. You need to first place a piece of cardboard between the lever and the housing on the front brake. If you don't, your next post will be that your brake light doesn't work. And the response will be, you now need a new front brake light switch.

btw the brake light switch is $13. A friend of mine made this mistake on her Dyna about a month ago.

Also, I don't think the left grip is glued on the 08 models. I was told they stopped doing that I believe in 05. I know the left grip on my 06 was not glued on. It just slipped right off.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by SportyPig
One very important point left off. Or at least I didn't see it. You need to first place a piece of cardboard between the lever and the housing on the front brake. If you don't, your next post will be that your brake light doesn't work. And the response will be, you now need a new front brake light switch.

btw the brake light switch is $13. A friend of mine made this mistake on her Dyna about a month ago.

Also, I don't think the left grip is glued on the 08 models. I was told they stopped doing that I believe in 05. I know the left grip on my 06 was not glued on. It just slipped right off.
I addressed that issue. That's when use a cigarette butt to gap the lever to protect the brake switch. I'm thinking it's only those guys who don't smoke that break stuff

Quick Reply: need help installing grips