Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Alert!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:02 PM
usma08
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny. Harley tried to sell me another one too.... I told them no thanks, I'll just take the plates! Silly... those plates were almost as expensive as ordering a full clutch kit 2 steel and 3 frictions cost me $100. Unfortunately, I need to get this back up as I do not get a lot of time to work on the bike so I had to just eat it. Unfortunately sometimes time really is money. Thanks for the help! I'll update after the replacement is complete.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I got these three for J&P Cycles for $15.

When people stop looking at HD as a source of parts? The only thing we buy from HD is the bike!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:48 PM
usma08
6th Gear

I know, that will probably be my last transaction with them. It really is ridiculous how much they charge. The other part of the problem though is that some of us still pay for it.

Another question: can i reuse the primary cover gasket? Or do I most definitely have to install a new one? I did order a new one from j&p but it is going to be a hot minute before it gets here.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by usma08
I know, that will probably be my last transaction with them. It really is ridiculous how much they charge. The other part of the problem though is that some of us still pay for it.

Another question: can i reuse the primary cover gasket? Or do I most definitely have to install a new one? I did order a new one from j&p but it is going to be a hot minute before it gets here.
I've used mine for three or four times for now. I figure if it starts leaking the leak won't be fatal and I can always replace it if it becomes an issue.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 PM
usma08
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
I've used mine for three or four times for now. I figure if it starts leaking the leak won't be fatal and I can always replace it if it becomes an issue.
Sweet! Well here goes nothing then!

P.S.
I am nominating you for smart guy of the week. After the test ride of course!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:56 AM
usma08
6th Gear

Well... Everything is good!!!! rode it yesterday for about 25 miles and no hiccups! The only problem is that now that it is fixed I need to find another project to start! Thanks again all for the info and assistance.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 04 Sporty. I had the same plate fail. I was riding and within 20 miles the clutch became very temperamental. At one point the clutch wouldn't disengage while trying to come to a stop at a light. Terrible design, but at least I was lucky enough to catch before it tore u the basket.

Replaced with the Barnett extra plate kit as the stock plates were shredded from the brass rivets falling into them. Got from a local dealer, did all my own labor. I was calling around to try and find the spring compression tool but couldn't find one. Indy dealer was nice enough to lend me his compression tool, stand up guy. I will be going back there when i am in need of parts.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a nonsense.
You say the pressure plate exploded, then again the extra plate blew up. Nothing of kind will happen when the clutch is assembled properly.

Barnett extra plate kit installed results

combo of extra plate kit and heavy spring pulled the adjuster right out of pressure plate resulting in

exploded basket

replaced with

no problems anymore, and the pull is easier

Last edited by Wi_Duker; 01-12-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

I see, the clutch was not assembled properly, just as I said. It does not matter what is the brand of clutch. You put it together good and it will stand, you screw it up and it will break on you.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see, the clutch was not assembled properly, just as I said. It does not matter what is the brand of clutch. You put it together good and it will stand, you screw it up and it will break on you.
Oh please enlighten me

Last edited by Wi_Duker; 01-13-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Alert!