Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuelpak settings

Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 AM
carpe_diem25
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuelpak settings

After getting to take my XL1200N for the first time since I bought it preowned, I noticed I was getting a lot of pop from the exhaust. It came equipped with V&H shortshots and the Fuelpak, as well as the stage 1 A/C. I went on to the V&H website to get the fuelpak settings and noticed that their chart skips modes 19 thru 22. Does anyone else have a similar set up that would know the values on those modes? I did email V&H to let them know.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

They are probably left off on purpose. The settings are dependent on what baffle you are using. If I change from the quiet to standard baffles, there are different settings.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
RyanC
Tourer
Default Check this out.

I have issues with gas mileage. Bad issues. I get 25 mpg city and not much better on highway. Otherwise my seems to run great. I have SE stage 1, V&H shortshots and a Cobra FI2000 processor. I recently bought a set of Z bars off Road 6 customs (R6C). I was talking to the R6C owner Seth about my issue. He recommended a few things. One of them being a dyno run. I'm in CT so this website I'll list may only help you for info. I plan on doing a Direct link ECU tuning ASAP. The guys at NHRS said it's a great program and works very well without doing any engine work. Without further adu here it is. johnsonenginetechnology.com . His site is all about engine performance and mods. I learned a ton today. I spoke with the owner for about an hour this morning. Go to testimonials and click on direct link towards the bottom left. I think this may be the way to go to correct your issue instead of constantly adjusting the piggy back ECU. Man I wish someone would have hooked me up with this info when i bought my used Nightster. good luck. Hope this helps.

Last edited by RyanC; 02-15-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM
carpe_diem25
Cruiser

V&H just emailed me back with some very insightful information. Here it is:

Mode 19 is where you calibrate the throttle (covered in the instructions)
mode 20 shows you the version level of the software
mode 21 is where you can verify throttle calibration.
mode 22 shows the current engine rpm.
(basically mode 20-22 are diagnostic modes and require no input from you - actually, you can't change the values if you tried.)

Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that short pipes will almost always have a little bit of pop. I don't think you will really have to worry about it, because on fuel injected bikes there is no fuel going into the cylinders when you are rolling along and close the throttle. With this being the case it could mean that you are running too rich and not getting a complete burn and the excess left behind fuel is getting ignited once no new fuel is being added.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
MattMicciulla
Stage I

Carpe Diem is absolutely right. 19-22 are diagnostic codes on the fuelpak. I saved the installation instructions from when I put fuelpak on my 08 Nightster. Reading right from the instruction manual it says after inputting the values for modes 1-18 you MUST calibrate your fuelpak in mode 19. To accomplish this you simply fully twist open the throttle and then return it to idle position. The instructions then say to push the mode button twice, bringing you to mode 21 (mode 20 is bypassed). Mode 21 is where you verify that the fuelpak has in fact been calibrated. Mode 21 should read 0 with the throttle closed, 50 at approx. half throttle and 99 when fully opened. If it doesn't you must go back to mode 19 and re-calibrate before putting in the remaining values (modes 23-35).

I've had problems with the popping as well. I noticed that my exhaust would pop in between 2nd and 3rd gear mostly ( I've got screaming eagle slip ons and a heavy breather). There are two explanations for the popping noise. My past experience with the problem was resolved after i took care of the first problem.

When I originally installed fuelpak I went on the website, went through the drop down menus, and looked up the codes for my set up. After programming them in I immediately noticed the exhaust pooping sound. I went back and put in the codes that were supplied with the installation sheet (the codes were different between the sheet and online despite the fact that you look them up the same way) and the problem was gone. The only other problem could be that you are using the wrong settings for ecm calibration (stock or stage 1) because those will effect the mode values during programming as well.

The only other thing I've heard about the popping is that its related to not rolling completely off the throttle when shifting which ignites some excess fuel as you ease out the clutch in the next gear.