Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Struts: Jail bars or Biltwell Struts?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
historiasehisteria
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Struts: Jail bars or Biltwell Struts?

I was checking on getting myself some struts for my Nightster, i plan to bob the tail, take a crap load of things off, relocate the tail lights, and add the struts. All in order to show off a better tail and the new whitewall i plan to put and make it a nice replica of a bobber.

I was checking on the struts, and right now i'm between the Jail Bar Struts, which are a lot thinner and allow for a better view, or the Biltwell Struts, which are a lot more beefier.

The question is, which do you think is better? Will the beefier struts be better on the long run, or will the jail bars do as well?

Price is not an issue, the Jail Bars are $79 while the Biltwell Struts are $99, don't care on the price.

WHat do you guys think?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using a set from eBay that cost about $40. No problems at all, I've had them almost a year now.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 AM
historiasehisteria
Advanced

Originally Posted by kahaone
I've been using a set from eBay that cost about $40. No problems at all, I've had them almost a year now.

Yeah, and even more so on me, i gave my car to my little sister, so my daily driver is my scoot. Not just that, i do a lot of long distance travel, so better start on the iron butt deal haha

nah but really, i guess it's just a matter of looks and personal likes. I guess what i was thinking was, if the Biltwell are much thicker, will this make a huge difference?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by historiasehisteria
...i gave my car to my little sister, so my daily driver is my scoot. Not just that, i do a lot of long distance travel,...
I'd rethink the strut idea if I were you. I sure wouldn't want 'em on anything but a bar-hopper.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Dlish
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 83XLX
I'd rethink the strut idea if I were you. I sure wouldn't want 'em on anything but a bar-hopper.
Do you ride a hardtail or strutted bike? Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question its just an opinion that no one asked for. I ride a hardtail sporty every day and have done hundreds of miles day after day. that post just doesnt help answer the OP.

OP, I have no experience with Jail products, I have met the Biltwell crew, wear their helmet, and gotten a chance look at the rest of the bike parts they make...I think they are very well made and they def stand behind what they are making. Sounds like you have a good idea of the look you want to accomplish, ebay, jail, biltwell...im sure they will all work for your purpose, for me it would come down to what the people behind the parts are like

Last edited by Dlish; 03-11-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

Originally Posted by 83XLX
Poo-poo on this foolishness. I'd sooner ride a rigid 1000 miles than I'd ride some squishy mush bucket 100.

Anyway, don't know **** about the Jail Bars but the Biltwells are nice pieces. Very strong.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlish
Do you ride a hardtail or strutted bike? Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question its just an opinion that no one asked for. I ride a hardtail sporty every day and have done hundreds of miles day after day. that post just doesnt help answer the OP....
Yes I have - about 5 years on a strutted bike back in the 70's. Rode it many thousands of miles. Rigid is OK if you see the big bumps before you hit 'em. Generally, strutted bikes ride rougher than true rigid framed ones. Just a little friendly, unsolicited advice for the OP to think over if he's never gone rigid. To each his own, but I've been riding and wrenching bikes since 1966 and know a little about it, too.

Last edited by 83XLX; 03-11-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM
b. luke
Intermediate

I can speak on the matter as I just sold my 2002 strutted sporty with "Jail bars" I also have a iron 883 with shox and a true rigid sucker punch bobber. Strength wise, Theres no diff between the two struts, if your comparing biltwell to licks struts wich are what I had. It comes down to looks. I like the biltwells because when you loose the rear shox, its a little suprising when its replaced with such a think bar. The biltwells have a little design to em. Stay away from ebay stuff, as you said, its under a hundred bucks so why try to save $40. I know a couple people who had ebay struts break. When your dealing with suspension, buy from a co with a good rep. Back pain will happen. How much depends on a lot. Yooll appreciate a spring seat and some taller bars you can roll back toward you. Drag bars will cause you alot of back pain. The idea is the more your leaning forward or hunched over, the more pain. Its ok for short rides, But long ones can be rough. Every one has different levels of tolerance.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 PM
squashit
2nd Gear

these are mine, no problems yet...

Attached Thumbnails Struts: Jail bars or Biltwell Struts?-struts.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

Those look nice, Squash. Sturdy lookin' too. Can I make a suggestion, maybe you've tried it already but I think the seat springs would look better flipped around.

What's that scoot in the background?

Last edited by Shovelhead Jack; 03-12-2010 at 08:28 AM.