Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the reason for a Sportster ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default What is the reason for a Sportster ???

Please don't "Flame" me, But what is the reason or should I say the meaning behind the Sportster line ?? I have always ridden touring bikes. When my wife wanted to ride, I just went out and bought a Sportster because I thought it was a entry level bike. HD used to sell it as trade it in within a year and get your money back towards a larger bike. Now that I have had it for a few months and ridden it I am very impressed, fast, easy to move thru traffic and with forward controls being six foot, I ride it very comfortable. I have been on this forum reading more about the Sportster finding out that there is a large following and many custom bikes out there.

My question is why did the line start, I think in 1957 and does it bother you that a lot of people who don't know better think the Sportster is a "Girls" bike or entry level ??

Thanks in advance for your reply, Be Safe JIM

Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 AM
buick_81
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hey Jim,
Who said the Sportster is Girly or a Starter?

I had a Deuce and a Heritage Before but I like the Sportster more. The name says it, "Sportster". It's a light weight Bike that can be customized in many different ways and themes. From a sport racing bike to Bob Style or even for a 2 passenger long rides bike. The price is good the Bike is even better.

Check mine on this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...some-mods.html

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
beanerblank
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the 60s and 70s it was the hot rod bike to have. Narrow, agile and plenty of power for it's light weight. Crotch rockets have since replaced it as king of the streets, but they are still tons of fun to ride and modify.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Alex1200r
5th Gear

sportster ?

i also ride triumph bonny

iu preffer the hd fo sure , the good vibrations with the 1200r with a carb ,

rokkin , lowerd , n all , it doesnt make you want to go fast but you can ,

the parts suk , springs ,chromes plastics shields bars seats mufflers all the parts suk but the bike in the end is solid and fun to ride , easy to get sensations on it , rather than a big mo fo hd machine cant turn ,

i sometimes push mine , makin it touch round bends , a bit sketchy

haah when its stiff it wabbles

Peace Ride on

Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't like it when people call Sportsters girl's bikes. I know way more women that ride Dynas and Touring models because they are way easier to ride than Sportsters. They have less power and better balance. The Sportsters are super top heavy and more powerful which makes for a bike that is not a good beginner bike in my opinion, but better for performance once you know how to ride. My Sportster was my first street bike, and I wish it hadn't been, because I was not ready. I should have bought a smaller, more forgiving first bike and I always advise others to do so as well.

People outside of the Harley "family" always ask and wonder how people become obsessed with everything Harley. Owners always say things like "if you have to ask, you don't get it" and "its a Harley thing" and what not. I think that the Sportster is the exact same thing but with-in Harley. If you think it is a girls bike and all that crap than you probably have never experienced a ride on a Sportster. Just like the OP before he got on one.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Zoxxie
Stage III

I just bought my first HD 1200c, I started riding a 73 Triumph twin, and have had various Jap bikes. I'm totally impressed with this sportster. I too am wondering why some look at the bike as a girls bike or beginners bike. I wouldn't give a nickle for a large harley. They just don't do it for me.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Lone Wolf In Canada
Intermediate

I had an 05 Sporty Custom 1200 and loved it. People who call it a girls bike say that because the other Harleys are heavier and they're almost saying you can't handle the bigger bike. Girls do buy them alot because they are 500 lbs and easier to ride. The Sportster is still a Harley... it's just a Harley at half the price! For some reason Harley makes their entry level bike their fastest bike and yes they do want you to get into the M/C thing then move up to their Big Twins.
Yes the shocks and seat are poor but if you put Progressive shocks on the rear, heavier fork oil and Sundowner seat you can go all day on these bikes.
I loved my Sporty and won't put them down, it was great riding to get used to the bike again after a 20 year break for kids/family thing. It gave me the confidence and practice again to step up to my EG Classic with confidence.
They're easy to handle, quick, and still sound like a Harley when you add pipes to it.
They're great to rake out or add extensions to the front end.
I don't know why some people laugh at them... I've always said..."Only a brave fool insults a cowboys horse!". Wish I couyld afford to insure both of them and I'd still have it.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well back in the day the Sportster was a race bike and was called a sport bike-by todays standards it is not near a sport bike and it's a small crusier bike. I got my Sporty since it was a HD and a lot of bike for the money. I have had and still have a sport bike, but wanted an HD. I started out looking at older used Softtails and dyna's and had a deal worked on a 2003 Super glide, but then found my 07 XL 50 that was alot nicer and newer for about the same money. I also love FI so that was a big selling point for my bike over the dyna. I agree that sportys are not super easy to ride till you get use to them and they make good power if it's a 1200 so I would say it's not a starter bike. I hate when people say that's nice for a sportster-WTF? it's nice no matter what. I picked my bike up last night from the dealer-had a dyno tune done and new front tire put on and they are all like that's a clean good looking sportser. I was like thanks, but was thinking why not it's just a clean nice bike? I think HD has alot to do with people thinking the sportster is a girls or starter bike and the employees at the dealer do not help break that mold.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 AM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 07 I bought a dyna and like it very much. I have been riding for about 30 years and have been on a lot of other bikes--but never a sporster. Well long story short--my wife wanted a sporster so that is what she got. I must say that the sporster is more fun to ride than any other bike that I've been on. The sporster is an awesome machine!
As for people that say the sporster is a girls bike--all I can say is they don't know what they are talking about or have not been riding for very long. If my ol-lady gets any better at riding and decides to crack the throttle open on her sporster--shes gonna leave me in the dust! or maybe I'll trade bikes with her---I love the sporsters!!!

Quick Reply: What is the reason for a Sportster ???