Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Docs Updated Nightster Mods 56K not welcomed!!!! Please give me feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 PM
snacks63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a fan of the bottle at all

Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
DocHoliday06
Banned

Originally Posted by snacks63
not a fan of the bottle at all
Hey snacks,

ehh... i figured some people may like it and others may not. It was something that i figured would help me out in the future rather than buying a bigger tank. I feel that it makes my bike more "ME". Yeah i could buy a bunch of stuff that everyone has or something someones already made but this was something i thought would be cool and if you don't like it its all good man. To each his own right?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 PM
DocHoliday06
Banned

Originally Posted by mumeral
The zip ties will eventually dry rot, and get brittle, I would look into "safety wire" which is just a thin metal string, used to secure misc items on aircraft. .032 would work well, and they have special pliers that wind them up nice and pretty, make it look factory. That way the bottle won't come off, and I would use black nail polish on the foam so it doesn't eventually dry rot and fall off or break apart. Clean install, given me ideas for what I plan to do in the future.
Hey Mumeral,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll def. look into what you said. Yeah I used zip ties for a rough install just to see how it looked and see what comments i would get. I figured i could perfect it later, your idea sounds more logical than mine does lol.

I was thinking in the future i could upgrade the bottle or something and maybe cut it near the top and add threads some how so that i could use it as a storage and what not, like insurance insurance cards, glasses, gloves, ear plugs misc. stuff like that. thanks a lot and im glad i could give you some ideas for your bike.

Originally Posted by ironpony71
gas bottle freakin great idea.
Thanks ironpony,

I'm glad there are people out there that liked my idea. I figured i'd get some people that would knock on my idea with the bottle. Thanks a lot for the feedback and let me know if you need any more help with that coil relocation.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM
jhoffman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gas bottles a great idea and looks awesome.....just would make me a little nervous from a safety standpoint if god forbid someone were to pull out in front of you and you had to lay it down on that side. It would totally suck to possibly burn you and/or your bike up verses some scratches...still a great looking bike.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The extra fuel would be nice for sure. Never know. Cool idea.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
DocHoliday06
Banned

Originally Posted by jhoffman
The gas bottles a great idea and looks awesome.....just would make me a little nervous from a safety standpoint if god forbid someone were to pull out in front of you and you had to lay it down on that side. It would totally suck to possibly burn you and/or your bike up verses some scratches...still a great looking bike.

Thanks for the comment hoffman,

Yeah i was thinking about safety issues like this last night while i was just sitting and looking at my bike. I came up with some other outcomes.
- I could leave it empty during times when i am riding within like stop and go places like the city and such
- Or i could use it as a storage like cut near the top of the bottle where its still at its widest point and add threading in the inside some how that way i can use it as a storage or something. Like putting small misc. stuff.
- I was quite nervous at first of gas maybe eating through the plastic top but it has a rubber sealer around it. But I am going to go to home depot today to see if i can find like a metal or stainless steel top for it just in case

Old 03-19-2010, 03:14 PM
DFOWLER023
Intermediate

looks great!!! i like the look of the raised tank, i may do that... what kind of paint did you use to spray the engine and covers??

Old 03-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Those fire extinguisher brackets aren't made to hold weight in that position. It looks neat, but it's dangerous. Someone makes a plastic bracket that allows the extinguisher to snap into place and is sort of vibration-proof. I haven't seen one in a while, but you should try to find one.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 PM
DocHoliday06
Banned

Hey Guys here are some new pics i took today.
- I put new pipes on today Vance and Hines Short. I got em for $100 barely used

Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 PM
badger1984
Tourer

Nice photographic composition on the bike!

Quick Reply: Docs Updated Nightster Mods 56K not welcomed!!!! Please give me feedback