Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did a loose ignition switch do this

Old 03-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,151 Posts
Angry Did a loose ignition switch do this

I went for a ride. And after about an hour I Pulled over to the side of the road to read a map. And my bike died. After trying to start it I saw the ignition switch was very loose. I pushed the bike more then 2 miles to the dealer . Were they tighten the screw on the ignition and told me they needed to replace the voltage regulator to. I was way to far from home so I just said do it. But I still feel today it was just the screw.And the switch was not grounded that killed the battery. So does the switch have a ground wire or does the screw ground it ? dealer or stealer 2004 sportster

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 03-23-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 PM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you and I are having similar problems, so I am waiting for answers too. My bike is a 2005 1200C and it has been acting up at startup. I hit the ignition and hear a click then loose all electrical power. I was riding it home today and it started to sputter, then I noticed the speedo would drop to zero then jump back up to 50 which was the speed I was riding. I was told my ignition switch was going bad.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my 07 1200C has been acting strange also. every once in a while when i go to start the bike and hit the start switch nothing happens. sometimes a small click. I have to hit the switch sometimes 6 or 8 times and it will finally turn the starter and start the bike. Not sure what is happening but it sounds like it could be the switch in the housing. I would like to hear what happens with you others.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The switch is not grounded by the screw. However, that doesn't sound like the symptoms of a bad voltage regulator either. If the voltage regulator was going bad, you should have gotten a check engine and battery light indicator. I have heard a report of those warning lights not working properly on the 04 - 05 year models.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW you pushed the bike 2 miles? I'm in good shape, but that would be a workout for me.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
The switch is not grounded by the screw. However, that doesn't sound like the symptoms of a bad voltage regulator either. If the voltage regulator was going bad, you should have gotten a check engine and battery light indicator. I have heard a report of those warning lights not working properly on the 04 - 05 year models.
+1 - The screw that holds the ignition switch housing on threads into a brass insert that's encased in plastic. There is no ground connection there nor is one required.

After the bike stalled what happened when you tried to start it? Did the motor crank over but not fire, or would it not crank over?

A bad regulator would cause the battery to go dead from lack of charge and that usually means there is not enough juice left in the battery to even crank over the motor.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Krakanator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with sportypig and charley. The screw is not the cause of the electrical problems. When I bought my sportster it was missing, and I rode it damn near 2 years before I replaced it. Sure is a pain to get to without moving the tank. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:46 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
WOW you pushed the bike 2 miles? I'm in good shape, but that would be a workout for me.
+1 on that.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM
TEK 679
Road Captain

Changed mine out last summer was doing the same thing. Let me ask you this? Do you have anything on the key ring other than the key? Harley logo tag etc,etc? If so remove it or you will ruin your next switch as well. On our newer sportsters one with the key below the right side of the tank the wind whips the damn thing around in such a way over time it wears out the switch. Just a key on mine now no problems. Just my careful observation.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have never had a key for mine, lol. Don't know if my Father had one or not, the switch turns without a key, and I don't have one anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did a loose ignition switch do this