Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster to 48 handlebar/speedo/turn signal conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM
BLACK883
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warrick
Damn, this thread is back...

If you do not move the headlight, you need at least 3.5 inch risers to clear the eyebrow. Order the stock "48" parts, swap out the speedo assembly, then you will have to grind the risers to fit the "48" clamp. You can leave cables, or do em custom.

I am trying to do this too.

Can anybody describe what exactly has to be grinned down?
What tools did u use?

Maybe somebody has pictures?

How much effort is it to do the grind down?
minutes, or hours?

Did you repaint the risers after grinding?

3.5'' risers have to be used to install the 48 speedo mount on the iron 883 and to be clear with the brows, right?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:29 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I used stock risers. I just used a file to cut them down. This took about a hour to fit both riser and install back on the bike. I took the eye brow off the top of the triple tree and mount it to the bottom side of the top tree. Just need a couple 1/4 inch spacers. This lowers the headlamp and looks a lot better.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
BLACK883
Stage IV
Smile

Originally Posted by gdishman
I used stock risers. I just used a file to cut them down. This took about a hour to fit both riser and install back on the bike. I took the eye brow off the top of the triple tree and mount it to the bottom side of the top tree. Just need a couple 1/4 inch spacers. This lowers the headlamp and looks a lot better.
OK. Thanks for your reply!

I ordered the parts
Cover 71988-10 and Bracket 71980-10.

I guess I should just have a look at the parts once they arrive and then make it happen

I am not sure about lowering or eliminating the brows.

Thanks again.

Still if anybody has some pictures how the down-grinded risers look like I would highly appreciate it!

Happy Sunday evening!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
wickdwayz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread keeps disappearing. I've noticed many people are wanting to do this. I too would like to do it. Can anyone post pictures of the grinded risers?

Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 AM
Rob from upstate
Novice

Does anyone have have pics and info. of drag bars installed on new risers? I am trying to figure out how to have drag bars on my Iron but also maintain the stock handlebar height (or maybe even have them an inch higher). I don't want drag bars that I have to hunch over forward to reach. Please don't get me wrong, drag bars that are slammed low onto the tree look really good BUT, DANG....MY ACHING BACK!!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob from upstate
Does anyone have have pics and info. of drag bars installed on new risers? I am trying to figure out how to have drag bars on my Iron but also maintain the stock handlebar height (or maybe even have them an inch higher). I don't want drag bars that I have to hunch over forward to reach. Please don't get me wrong, drag bars that are slammed low onto the tree look really good BUT, DANG....MY ACHING BACK!!!!

My pics are page 9, 3.5" straight risers and drag bars.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you want to send me your risers and top clamp I will machine it for you. Then you can take pictures. It is not hard. Just let me know. I will help you. All it will cost you is postage.I live south of Houston.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 AM
Komenda
6th Gear

I did it with short drag bars... I ordered the 48 mount and backing plate. Machined my stock Nightster risers to fit the new mount. And the headlight was a simple fix... i unbolted it, and remounted it from the underside with 2 (1/4") spacers (bolt coming from bottom) and put plugs in the top of the holes on the tree. I also changed the brake line... the top flexline gets all folded up, still works, but new line is better. All in, cost me around 250 to do it all.

If you have any questions on any of this PM me.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Arrampico
Intermediate

Ok, I ordered the screws and the two mounts. I have a nighster with iron bars on it. Should get the parts by Friday - I'll post pics when complete.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 PM
kyleohioguy
Intermediate

how high are the risers and do the bars/ switchs miss tank when parked and bars are turned ? iam about 5' 10" so looking to get bars up higher to stop sholder paint thanks

Quick Reply: Nightster to 48 handlebar/speedo/turn signal conversion