Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster to 48 handlebar/speedo/turn signal conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought i would give everyone an update on the bracket and the speedo bucket we ordered. The bucket is on it's way (should be here and checked in tomorrow) and we have been allocated the bracket which should be in within the next week or so. So the three month wait isn't the case, for us at least. Going to see the fit without moving the headlight down. Looks like it should but we'll see once i get the parts in. More updates to come!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Cyclops
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steeler
I lifted my headlight so the speedo now looks in line.
but its all personal preferances,enjoy your mods.
Sorry, I know this is OT, but how did you fab your headlight lift?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Robbyrob505
here is the part number for the bracket: 71980-10 I called today and thats what they gave me. hopefully we can all get this bracket on out sportsters soon. Plz keep us updated and post pics. Plzzzz
Hey gang, great thread here. I went in today and ordered the 48 bracket and although this is my dealership's firat attempt at this mod, they felt that might be the only part I need for the conversion on an Iron. Any thoughts? I think we're going to have to remove the headlamp cover (hood) also to make it work to be able to access the trip button on the back of the speedo.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:45 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by papadop88
Went to my buddy at the dealer cuz he called me and said he had one on the floor. We chatted about it for a while. Did the "eye" inspection and saw that, beside moving the headlight on my N from the stock position and getting rid of that brow, its a pretty easy swap. So we grabbed the parts book and looked them up. The 48 clamp runs $94 and the backing for the speedo gauge is another $16. He didn't know when they would ship out though.
Can you describe for me the backing necessary for the speedo gauge? Thanks--

Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 AM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take a look at the 48's speedo housing, you'll see its gloss black vs wrinkle. Its a different cover than on the nighster or iron.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:59 AM
883Persian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by papadop88
If you take a look at the 48's speedo housing, you'll see its gloss black vs wrinkle. Its a different cover than on the nighster or iron.
ya i noticed it yesterday when i went and saw it at the dealers ..im shocked they had 1 down here next 1 will probably arrive in 4 months it was already sold ...

Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain

You will need to pick up the housing unit (what i called the bucket) as well. At least on the nightster i had to and i would assume the Iron is the same. So you are really just looking at the bracket and the housing unit. I am also planning to have to remove the headlight cover to get it on properly. Not too worried about flipping the headlight to the lower tree like the 48 has. From the looks of it just removing the cover should work fine.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:51 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

OK, got it, thanks--it's probably going to be a month before these parts get installed on my Iron as I'm also awaiting my exhaust (V&H Blackout 2 in 1, backordered) which should be in 15 May. Regardless, I'll try to post some pics when it's done. I'm going to try to do it all on one weekend.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Iron Dandee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brettcr
I am also planning to have to remove the headlight cover to get it on properly. Not too worried about flipping the headlight to the lower tree like the 48 has. From the looks of it just removing the cover should work fine.
I dont think you can just remove the headlight hood because the light is mounted on there.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Iron Dandee
I dont think you can just remove the headlight hood because the light is mounted on there.
Ya know... that may be a possibility as i didn't look closely as i thought is just for looks. I'll definitely check that out when i get home tonight.

Quick Reply: Nightster to 48 handlebar/speedo/turn signal conversion