Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander or screaming eagle race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:30 PM
davidhovlandg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power commander or screaming eagle race tuner

Well I am ready to start modifying my wife 09 Nightster 1200cc. I put reinheart slip on mufflers on. I think it's to loud but she told me to leave it that way! I havn't done air filter mods yet. Now the big question which tuner should I USE? POWER Commander or bite the bullet and let the local Harley shop instal a race tuner. Has anybody tried the power commander Auto tune? I had my 08 ultra tuned with screaming eagle race tuner in 08 Happy with the results but intriged with the auto tune. David H

Old 03-28-2010, 06:06 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of guys here run the pcV. I do not know about the auto tune though. I do know that I need to take my bike and have it put on the dyno because I believe you can not tune it right without doing so. You have to test run it, go back and tune, test run, tune and so on. Without a race track this is nearly impossible without taking risks.
I say weigh the options and pros and cons of each then make your decision.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked into the SERT, but ended up getting the PC III USB and love it. The SERT is about $450 and I got my PC III for $292 shipped band new. The SERT lets the dealer adjust for major engine mods, but no matter what the dealer has to adjust it and the SERT is a one bike only use. Once it's used on your bike it's only ever good for your bike. The PC III can be used in any sportster for the years it's made for if you want to sell it. I ended up having a dealer dyno tune my PC III since none of the on line maps would work just right. I say if you are just going to run bolt on's then a PC II or V is the way to go and it's easy to install-did in ln less then an hour and even had to mod my seat pan.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 PM
ElGoonski
Advanced

When you get the SERT, does the dealer actually install a piece of hardware, or does it download right into the bikes computer?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I vote for PCV, very happy with mine.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Another vote for the PCV.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SERT is not a piggy-back system like the PC's are. It is merely used as an interface junction between the diagnostic equipment and your bike and is not left on the bike. You are actually changing what is in the factory ECM itself. The SERT also allows you to use your O2 sensors and keeps the bike in a closed-loop system. The new PCV is a closed loop system as well. There seem to be a lot more parameters that can be changed with the SERT versus the PC. One of those parameters allows you to eliminate some of the throttle lag that comes with the throttle by wire systems used on the touring bikes. I started with a PCIII on the Road King but went to a SERT for some of these reasons.

Last edited by Skidrow; 03-29-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Racer57
Advanced

I vote for the PCV. Although, as u can see by my sig I am biased. What I like about the PCV and Autotune is that once you have it you can make AC , intake, cam and exhaust changes and don't have to take it back to the dealer at $150 per remap.

The best part tho is, I run mine with "autotune" turned on all of the time. One time I accepted the map and then turned autotune off and it didn't run as well at altitude.

You see, I am lucky living in Oregon. In a matter of 2 1/2 hours I can ride from the coast (sea level) to the mountains at a pass level of 5K feet or more. Even tho we have fuel injection, the bike on autotune reacts better to the altitude change.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Once installed, the SERT is married to your bike forever, it can't be reused on another bike, so it has no resale value if you decide to remove it.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like I said the SERT is great if your going to do major engine work and really need to adjust every aspect of the fuel and timming. For bolt on's like pipes, hi flow AC's the PC III or V is great and all you need. The one nice thing about the SERT is there is no added components to your bike, but it's no big deal-I mean Dyno Jet give you a new ECM tray to hold the PC and when you take your time you can hide the wires well.

Yes the dealer has to install the SERT.

Quick Reply: power commander or screaming eagle race tuner