Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I went down on bike...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM
notofthisworld
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went down on bike...........

Well I went down on my bike last Wednesday. I was headed to work at 4:30 am, I was alone on the road riding with my high beams on and I noticed a car coming to a stop sign. He sat there for about 10-12 seconds, so I assumed he seen me. When I slowed down and moved to the center lane, when I got to the corner he was sitting at he pulled out in front of me. I couldn't stop in time, so I went into the oncoming lane to pass him. He then slammed on his brakes to turn left onto another street about 15 ft from where he turned in front of me. So I had two options hit his front quarter panel and go airborne or lay it down and try to get to the grass on the side of the road. Which is what I did. The driver took off and left me there alone.

I broke my left arm in 6 places shattered my elbow and had a compound fracture in my left arm above the elbow. I have a deep purple and black and yellow bruise from my left thigh up to my rib cage on my left side.

3 1/2 hours of surgery, 3 titanium plates 28 screws and 45 stitches to repair my left arm.

I keep running the scene through my head, and honestly believe I did everything right to minimize my injuries. I'm not sure if I ever want to rife again. I've posted some photos of my arm and bike below.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Wow sorry to hear that, hope you heal quickly. I got cut off on my bike years ago and broke my back in seven places, I too wasn't sure about riding again and didn't for about two years but the bug was always there and finally got the best of me and I'm glad it did as I now enjoy riding more than ever (but I now just ride for fun and always out of town, I do not commute on the bike or spend any time in the city).

Old 02-11-2015, 12:55 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Really sorry to read about your ordeal. Did you happen to catch the license plate of the a$$hat? At this point, take your time to heal completely. Bike can be repaired/replaced. If cops ever happen to catch the guy, make sure to go after him with a personal injury lawyer.

Positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 PM
shackdaddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats rough man. I hope all heals well and as quickly as possible. I cant blame you for questiong whether you want to ride again or not. Im sure I would be in the same mindset if it happened to me. On the bright side, it can always be worse. In the end you limped away and get to see another day.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 PM
notofthisworld
Cruiser

Thanks guys, no I didn't get the plate. I did ride every day to work. I have thought that if I only ride on weekends it would reduce my chance of going down. But I'm not sure, I have a wife and two kids to think about

Old 02-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry hear that dude! Hope you get swift recovery and that you indeed get back on your bike to ride again (even though you've got second thoughts about that right now)!

Unfortunately the world is full of inconsiderable *** holes that couldn't give a fvck about anyone else but themselves! But then again karma is a bitch and good things will most likely come your way! And for that other guy, hm well...

Old 02-11-2015, 02:56 PM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Best of luck to recover

Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Dago1
Novice

Sorry about your mishap, seems less and less folks are Watching out for Motorcycles lately,,,, I had an airborne experience many years ago, long recovery, but when it's in your blood and you enjoy it, hard to give it up,,,good luck and prayers for a quick recovery,,,
,,,,,"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars.",,,, Shane Falco

Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM
FLHTom1948
Cruiser

Man, I've been riding Harleys since 1967, so of course I've been in a few accidents -none as serious as yours. It's just too much fun, so i always got back on. At this point, i would find 2 really good riders to go with on the weekends, and let them ride point. Nobody messes with you when they hear 3 Harleys comin'!!! Reminds me of when i centerpunched a '68 Dodge making an illegal Uturn, scars heal, 'tho -don't let this get you down.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:30 PM
notofthisworld
Cruiser

Thanks for the positive words guys.

Quick Reply: I went down on bike...........