Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Hang Around
Default Cost Effective Stage 1 Remap?

Ok, I am pretty new to messing with EFI on bikes. I am looking to do a Stage 1 upgrade on my 09 XL1200N. I will either be doing the SE Stage 1 AC (running an AMSOIL filter on it) or Roland Sands AC and then V&H Big Radius 2 into 2. I am a little confused on the EFI remap though. Just talked to the dealer about the cost of just the EFI remap and was told they want $280 just to do the straight download and $1050 for the SERT with Dyno time. The price just sounds nuts to me. I really would rather make ECU adjustments than to add a tandem box. What are some effective options here? Also, is a remap really required after just doing the AC upgrade? More than likely I will do the AC upgrade first and pipes several months down the road. I would rather wait to mess with the EFI until after the pipes are on.

Also, before anyone says anything, I did search but didn't come up with anything that valuable.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Road Master

You do not need to do the remap if you are going to do just the a/c with stock pipes. Harley doesn't offer the stage 1 download anymore so if they are trying to sell it to you they shouldn't be. The most cost effective way I would say would be the fuelpak and then the power commander. Both can be adjusted for your particular set up and are easy to get your a bike a good base tune that it will run good on. The power commander is dyno tunable if you decide down the road you want to get all you can out of the tune. The fuelpak is not dynotunable and you just punch in the values they give for your set up.

'08 Nightster
Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Old Fart

HD's remap is a "One Size Fits All" deal, designed specifically to work with the SE A/C and the SE mufflers. Anything else and all bets are off.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
04 1200C - Hammer 1250 - Smash Heads - .560 Cams - Supertrapp - Hurricane Flow A/C - TC88A Ignition

Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Road Captain

I had the SE AC and the reamp of the EFI done on my 08 - 883 a few weeks ago.
At the DEALER. I"ve already had Rush Slip Ons installed for the last 2 years.
All I can say is DON'T WAIT. The bike runs SOOOOO much better since I had it done.

2012 Switchback
V&H PRO PIPE
SERT
PROGRESSIVE LOWERING KIT/FRONT AND BACK
HD CHROME GUARD
BOOM AUDIO
Old 04-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Prospect

try a techlusion TFI. simple installation and easy to adjust even for someone without a lot of experience with bikes. I think I paid about $175.00 for mine and I have to say I really like it. It's easy, smaller than most the other add on fuel adjusters, and customer service is great. They will walk you through the whole installation by phone if you needed it. Probably won't need to do all that though really pretty simple.

http://www.techlusion.com/TFI/adjustTFI.asp

just my opinion but works great for me.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Road Warrior

another vote for the tfi system... on my bike too. not expensive and man does it work!!
bike runs cooler (so says the temp gauge) and much hotter (so says my "enjoyment factor")!!

my combo = tfi + ness big sucker + v&h straight shots

cuttin' up the "snake" (a road near L.A.) on the sporty
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Rider

I'm in your situation now, I ordered a sest off of ebay for $350, plus the software and cable. I'm going to try one one of the canned maps until I can get it dynoed. My local hd quoted me $288 for a dyno tune. I ordered the training dvd as well, I'm thinking maybe I can find some place where I can tune it on the street.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox4 View Post
Harley doesn't offer the stage 1 download anymore so if they are trying to sell it to you they shouldn't be.
Interesting, had two separate Austin dealers offer quotes for a SE Stage 1 download if I went with the SE AC and SE slip ons.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Interesting, had two separate Austin dealers offer quotes for a SE Stage 1 download if I went with the SE AC and SE slip ons.
I was over on the XLforums (sportsters only forum) and was telling someone their options as far as adjusting the fuel trims for the stage 1 and I mentioned the download. I then was bombarded by people posting and saying that the download no longer exists, and a couple of members bombarding me were Harley service shop techs. I have never heard anyone mention it not being available on this site and figured I would spread it over here. But as you can tell from your experience and others that have posted on this thread, it must still be available.

'08 Nightster
Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Elite HDF Member

I have a PC III on my bike with a dyno tune and love it. I tryed to use the maps on there site, but the bike would not run just right and it would get hto till I had it dyno tuned. I have nothing bad to say about the PC III. I got it for $292 shipped form www.morepowerracing.com
2007 Sportster. XL50 1200 #674 Black. Martin Bros Two Down pipes, SE Stage I AC, PC III-custom tune, SE clutch, Forwards, Drag Bars, solo seat and a ton of bolt on's.
2006 Suzuki C50 fenderless bobber, old school gasser look
2014 WRX 5-door
1987 Trans Am WS6 T-top.
1969 Honda Z50, 79 Z50, 84 Z50.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 AM

P