Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie question, what does stage 1 ecm calibration mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:06 PM
4t8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question, what does stage 1 ecm calibration mean?

I'm thinking about putting V&H exhaust and fuelpak on my new forty-eight, and I saw on the 'map lookup' for the fuelpak that you can choose 'stock' or 'stage 1'
What does stage 1 mean (I'm assuming it means that the dealer recalibrates your ECM, but how's that different than what the fuelpak is going to do)?
Is there any real advantage to getting this 'stage 1' modification, and how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Krakanator
Tourer

Stock is for stock (why this is an option I will never know). Stage I is for bikes with free flowing A/C and high performance exhaust (commonly referred to as Stage I). FWIW, I have never heard of anyone needing a fuelpack with ONLY aftermarket exhaust. If your dealer recalibrated your ECM and sold you a fuelpack they are trying to pull a fast one. IMHO, if they sold you a fuelpack with the exhaust knowing that you did not have an upgraded A/C they pulled a fast one. There is a definate advantage to doing the full stage I upgrade (you appear to be 2/3 there already), probably a handful of HP, snappier throttle response...

Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 PM
4t8
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Krakanator
Stock is for stock (why this is an option I will never know). Stage I is for bikes with free flowing A/C and high performance exhaust (commonly referred to as Stage I). FWIW, I have never heard of anyone needing a fuelpack with ONLY aftermarket exhaust. If your dealer recalibrated your ECM and sold you a fuelpack they are trying to pull a fast one. IMHO, if they sold you a fuelpack with the exhaust knowing that you did not have an upgraded A/C they pulled a fast one. There is a definate advantage to doing the full stage I upgrade (you appear to be 2/3 there already), probably a handful of HP, snappier throttle response...

So if I installed a new high flow AC, V&H pipes, and V&H fuelpak, would I choose Stage 1 or stock when installing the fuelpak?

Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4t8
So if I installed a new high flow AC, V&H pipes, and V&H fuelpak, would I choose Stage 1 or stock when installing the fuelpak?
Stage 1.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Jesla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

I believe that they are asking if your ECM is stock or had a stage 1 download. They ask because it make a difference as to which map they install in the Fuelpak for you.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4t8
Did you even bother reading krakanators response? It certainly doesn't look like it as I reread what he posted and it was pretty clear.

The bike comes set pretty lean from the factory. You change pipes or intake and it makes it more free flowing making more air going in or out, and therefore leaner. This adds more heat (additional fuel actually makes it run cooler)

I put pipes on my 06 and I was getting lean pooping and extra heat. Once I rejetted it solved the problem.

In your case you have to do it through the ecm load. I would watch the plugs and pipes and how its running closely making sure you aren't running too lean if you run a stock load. To much heat = a bad bad thing for sure.

MH

Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesla
I believe that they are asking if your ECM is stock or had a stage 1 download. They ask because it make a difference as to which map they install in the Fuelpak for you.
I'm with Jesla on this. My Iron has had the dealer stage 1 download done to the stock ECM. If I were to get the Fuelpak, I would use the stage 1. Since your ECM is the stock tune, I would think you would use the stock Fuelpak setting. But I would contact V&H instead of going off what a group of guys on the Internet tell you.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 PM
harleydude49
Novice

on the website you are referring to-v$h, when they ask that question they are talking about your ecu. stock or stage 1-so they can provide the correct map.
i believe that a fuel pak will work better along with a stage 1 download due to the fact fuel pak does not sffect timing or rev limit- where the stage 1 does-so with that combo fuel pak + stage 1 you are getting the best of both worlds. there are however tuners that do both timing and afr- in that case stock ecu would be better.
as far as the cost of the dealer download to ecu, its about 235.00. good luck and welcome to this world. ps get ready to have people tell you fuel pak is junk, to get pcv-then someone will say pcv's are no good get sert. etc etc etc. fuel pak will work fine with your setup....imho

Old 06-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Aires59
Cruiser

You are right that the "stage 1" ECM recalibration can be done by a dealer doing a download for you, this provides a generic map for fuel flow. Fitting a fuelpak as well just tweaks this map and is probably unnecessary.
A better way to go is to keep the ECM stock and fit a fuelpak or power commander, doing it this way means that if you wish to go back to a standard set up there is no changes to make to the ECM.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 AM
4t8
Cruiser

MechsHands, yes I read that response, but Krakanator thinks that a stage 1 is mechanical mods (air cleaner, exhaust), but others think that stage 1 is an actual change to the ECM settings on the bike. I tend to agree with the others.

MEGALifted, thanks for the comment. So it sounds like your setup is V&H exhaust, SE heavy breather, and stage 1 ECM download, is that correct? Did your dealer perform this work, and is this setup what they recommended for you? My dealer seems to think I need a SE tuner, not just a stage 1 download. Beautiful Iron btw.

harleydude49, thanks for the comments.

Aires59, thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply: newbie question, what does stage 1 ecm calibration mean?